Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

overheating 36 120 after 10+ miles
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
In the warmer weather we've been haven (90-98F), my 1936 120 will run nice a 180F, and after that it goes over 200! It has the (original) 4 blade fan.
What would cause that?

I heard somewhere that 120's destined for warmer regionswere build with different fan.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 19:14
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: overheating 36 120 after 10+ miles
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

antiquecarman
See User information
If it is overheating in that short of time first make sure the fan is not bolted on backwards.Yes I have actually seen that with my own eyes.Make sure vacumn advance is working and engine timing is correct.
Still overheating check w/p impeller condition and that it doesn't slip on the shaft.If you have the w/p off pull the water distribution tube out of the block and check condition.I have also seen so much rust in the cooling cavities that it stopped up enough of the passage ways from block to head to cause this also.
Good Luck !

Posted on: 2013/7/17 21:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I heard somewhere that 120's destined for warmer regionswere build with different fan.

There is no indication in the Parts List of anything other than a single fan for the 1936 "120". In addition to those points noted by "antiquecarman", remember than 90% or more of the time the radiator is the culprit. Why not have it flow-tested?

(EDIT: There is indeed a larger fan, I stand corrected as noted by Flackmaster in his post below!)

Posted on: 2013/7/17 22:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Actually there is an alternate fan. Part number is 320367 is a larger fan. I had one of these, NOS, for evaluation and conversation purposes, and succumbed to the plea from Jack Kruse, a 36-120 owner in Fernandina Beach, FL for this fan, as he is a real stickler for Concours Correct. It is currently on "loan" to him, and on his car that Used to overheat in city driving. Jack is not on this forum, so if you wanted to see this fan, suggest you contact him directly, he should be able to send you a picture and report on its efficacy.

Independently, Its like calling your doctor saying my stomach hurts and expecting a diagnosis without further info - overheating can have many causes, so please give us more clues to further assist. Condition of motor, known history/recent service, radiator condition, etc. Once upon a time I got so frustrated with a 36-120 overheating that I sold it. Gone, Period. Then I was offered the chance to buy it back....anyway, long story short, the root cause of it running poorly was the "choke" flap in the exhaust manifold was stuck in the closed position.

More information please.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 7:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Well when I take it out on a cool 70 degree day no problem unless I get into bad city traffic. The radiator looks like new on the outside (as new as it would look for a 77 year new radiator), but I'm going to flush it and see how much bad stuff comes out.
It belonged to a guy that was very particular about keeping his vehicles up and keep them original, but that's all I know about the history. I'll call his (packard) mechanic for some more maintenance history

Posted on: 2013/7/18 9:29
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The inside of the radiator may be marginal, so on a cool day it works ok, but on a hot day, it just cant keep up. It may need to be rodded out.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 15:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved