Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pedal repair kit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I may be hallucinating again but seem to recall a region or vendor having a repair kit for the clutch and brake pedals. IIRC, it consisted of an oversize shaft or maybe it was a shaft and bushings. Don't remember which models it was for so maybe out of luck anyway. Just in case, does anyone recall who might have that item. I didn't see it in the latest CNB.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 10:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Pedal repair kit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, I believe the full list of regional projects is only shown in every 2nd or 3rd issue of the CNB. The item you asked about is a PAC Regional project of Niagara Packards, listed for all 1942-47 Clippers. Ad in Cormorant Newsbulletin says it includes oversized shaft with new clip, bolts, nuts, lock washers and grease nipple. Email address for info is <ndwel7899@rogers.com>

Posted on: 2013/7/8 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Last year I bought the last two Niagara Packards made. The project was started by a member who made twelve(12) and has since passed away. I was told I got the last two, which had surface rust from sitting. They are not exactly like the original, but was able make them work.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the info on who had them and also for the probably no more are available info. If these arms scrape the sides of toe plate like I think they will, will look farther into other options.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
If your clutch and brake arms are as worn as my were then you will need to rebush the pin/shaft end. I was lucky to have a new pin/shaft to help determine bushing size. I believe the cause of the problem was lack of grease! Good luck with your project.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 11:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Expect you're correct with the bushings. When all was apart being painted I didn't notice anything I would call wear on the shaft so put it back together. When messing with installing the springs and actually moving things under load was surprised to find what I think is a bit too much side to side play.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 11:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Are these the culprits, Howard?

Can't find a higher res, better lit version, but these were among the first items I replaced on my '40. It was in '86 and I remember thinking when I picked them up with a machine shop bill for two, might have been $160, I'll never be able to afford restoring this entire car.

A new one is on the left. Now I'm going to grease mine before I leave on my trip Thursday.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.30 KB)
1067_51daf468c64fc.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/7/8 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if it's the same and don't recall seeing a pin involved but one could be inside. This car has a drilled shaft about 6" long supported on each end. Has a grease fitting on one end. The pedals slide over the shaft with a spring holding them apart. I believe the bushings are just pressed into the pedals but I'll have to dig deeper into the issue to see exactly how things are put together.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved