Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 154

Ozstatman, Don B, HH56, Packard Don, Darrell, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tire Valve Stems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I'm still looking for the car keys to my '55 but took time off to go to the store today, or tried to. I decided to take the '51 but when I walked into the garage the first thing I saw as a flat tire. Realizing that the Packard Gods do NOT what me to drive a Packard this weekend I gave in and took the DD instead.

When I got back I went to change the tire. What I saw when I looked over the tire gave me the feeling of ice cubes sliding down my spine. The tire valve stem has a big crack in it that is deep enough to let the tire go flat. I saw that the stem was bent a little off to one side when I went to take the wheel shell off but I never dreamed the stem was rotten enough to crack through like it did. When the Wheel Shell was off, the crack disappeared.

This is a car I usually let loose on the freeway at least once every two weeks and run between 60 - 70 mph and the car seems like it wants more when I'm doing it. The tires that are on the car came with it so I'm not sure how old they are but I'm going to find out. My guess is they are newer than the stems.

In the mean time! I'm going to check the stems on each and every one of my cars and that includes the DDs before I go anywhere in any of them.

You all might want to do the same!

Posted on: 2013/7/13 21:53
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Tire Valve Stems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC, there was a big advisory about rotten valve stems on the market just recently. Don't know if your car might have had one or if yours was the original but recent cars are not exempt.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 21:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Some how I missed that one, Howard, but come Monday, there are going to be new stems on all the cars around here.

I guess the Packard Gods are looking after me after all.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Happy it didn't leave you stranded!

There is a bigger point here: if it is made from/with rubber, check it from time to time.

I see a lot of cars on elderly tires (who knows on valve stems) with hoses and belts from the dark ages. Most of that stuff is relatively inexpensive to simply replace. The first time you have to call Captain Hook, you have lost.

Preventive maintenance is a good idea.....

When I had had my fire truck some twenty years I got concerned about brake lines so asked the mechanic to change them. He declined, because they looked new. I asked him to give them a physical check so he got under and pulled on one hose. The look on his face when it disintegrated was a real Kodak moment.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 22:14
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i changed over to brass stems.. long ones, but still need an adapter to fill the tire.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 23:33
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jim,

One of the guys in our club, with a '52 200, had a continuing problem where the wheel covers "rotated" and cut into his valve stems. Maybe this is what happened to yours? For a number of years he drove without wheel covers, only putting them on for shows and display purposes. He did fix the problem, maybe it was metal stems, and I can ask him if you like?

Posted on: 2013/7/14 0:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
G'day Jim,

One of the guys in our club, with a '52 200, had a continuing problem where the wheel covers "rotated" and cut into his valve stems. Maybe this is what happened to yours? For a number of years he drove without wheel covers, only putting them on for shows and display purposes. He did fix the problem, maybe it was metal stems, and I can ask him if you like?

I think that is what happened here as well as I'm sure I didn't put them on that way.

If you wouldn't mind I would like to know what others have done to "stem" the problem

In the mean time, Pat, I'll make checking the wheel covers to see if any have "walked" part of my pre-drive inspection. When I saw what happened, I'd say that being simply stranded was better than the image that flashed through my mind. Neither are a way that I'd want to end a drive.

Riki, where did you find brass stems?

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:01
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jeff
See User information
Hi Jim,

I'm the Aussi guy with the '52 valve stem problems (ie rotating full rim hub caps wearing into the rubber valve stem). New stems are the go from my point of view.
I have tried brass stems and found them to stop the rotation one wheel but not another (as soon as the hub cap put any force on the valve stem it just leaked) my tire guy tried fixing it without success.
My final solution was to have standard rubber stems on all the wheels but I use Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant in 3 places around the hub cap to bond it to the wheel rim (standard silicone sealant just shears). It works like a treat and I placed it where I us a tire lever to remove the hub cap just to break the bond.

Cheers, Jeff

Posted on: 2013/7/14 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Jim,

try a truck parts shop, i think that is where my came from, or truck tire shop..

Posted on: 2013/7/14 21:20
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Use a pair of pliers to bend more grip into the wheel cover tangs. It is ss so not real ez to do, it CAN be done.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 6:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved