Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 181

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: More A/C Experience
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Again, some random replies/thoughts:

Fascinated by all the slightly different posts. Seems like everyone has a little bit different focus on this.

Yes the radiator cap (newish, came with the car four years ago...) is for 3 pounds. Didn't give it much thought since it seemed to work, however a close local friend with a 56 made the change and that solved his heating issue. For ten bucks, it's worth a try.

Duane has been delayed, but will retime today or tomorrow. Might help a bit.

As to the guage being garbage I'm not expecting lab calibration. It seems to be consistent and useably accurate, which is pretty much all it was supposed to do.....

I got a new windshield last year which is tinted. After that experience, I'm not touching the glass. The comment was intended as an observation, not to be seen as an issue here. Just a difference between then and now.

I'll check back when the noted changes have been done to report; meantime, thank you all for the serious attention you have given this problem.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 13:59
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
No puking with the three pound cap is pretty good indicqation of no over heating problems . In fact it indicates the engine is running rather cool.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 14:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The ping, at this point, mite very well be personal pet peeve on your part. However, maybe try ONE heat range COLDER ON THE SPARKING PLugs after the timing has been played with. It IS possible that colder plug will cause rough running and stalling in very cold weather. But maybe not either.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 15:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Your radiator is probably not the same as the one that was installed with the AC cars. The condensor, much like the radiator is a heat exchanger, so when the AC is running the condensor is exchanging heat into the air which then gets directed into radiator. So basically the air being directed over the radiator is warmer.

Add the extra load on the motor from the AC compressor, and you can see why the temp is going to creep up. I guess if you go buy one of the those cheapy IR thermometers from HF, you can check the temp at the water outlet with the motor running at normal temp, and with the motor running at the elevated temp when the AC is running. You may find that even though the gauge is on the dash is moving a lot, the actual temp difference may only be 10-15f and still in the normal operation range.

As others have said the pinging may be due to the timing needing to be adjusted a bit.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 17:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Duane is still tied up with "real" work, so nothing there. Replaced the radiator cap with a 12 pounder.

Radiator is three rows, not four as was suggested.

Today was absolutely lovely, so took a pair of young magpies out to lunch, where we dined in splendor at Superdawg in Wheeling. Would you pay $25 for three deluxe hot dogs and two drinks? That's why we don't go that often.

Car ran beautifully with no issues, but only had the air on a little bit later in the day.

The magpies should both be asleep, looking innocent, which is probably misleading.

Two seven year old cousins who sat in the back seat and giggled for four hours! If you can't enjoy that kind of music, you really are a curmudgeon.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
All in all, sounds like a very satisfying day Pat.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 0:54
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Hi from central TX: when I finish my Hydro-E window project (blog in post war) I will be tackling the a/c system in my 54/300. Would you mind sending me a photo of that Sundren compressor--seeing ahead that I'm probably "not" going to get my big fat Tecumseh compressor up and going. The a/c system is add-on with evaporator in the truck. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/7/26 7:17
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Here are a couple of shots. You do recall that my car is a V-8?

Brackets were far and away the biggest problem for both compressor and alternator (which I added, anticipating the electric fan and night driving....)

The sanden is more than adequate to the task.....

P.S.

The engine compartment has since been gussied up and is now respectable....

Attach file:

jpg  (127.69 KB)
2488_51f2ca5039b3d.jpg 1280X850 px

jpg  (124.73 KB)
2488_51f2ca7bcddfc.jpg 1280X850 px

jpg  (111.64 KB)
2488_51f2cecc4c172.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/7/26 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
would having two condenser's in series help?,

Posted on: 2013/7/26 18:36
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
would having two condenser's in series help?,

Without a radiator that can dissipate more heat or at least do it faster, it's going to run at a higher temp with any size or number of condensers in front of it.

One option might be smaller condenser in front and a secondary remote condenser with it's own fan mounted somewhere away from the radiator. Problem is those require mounting in an area with adequate air flow -- which leaves most good spaces out. Maybe under the car or in the space between the fender and cowl if some air flow could be captured from the engine bay but, IMO neither would be great choices.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.47 KB)
209_51f314a9477ea.jpg 736X190 px

Posted on: 2013/7/26 19:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved