Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

DM37, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 56 Clipper Fuel pump is leaking
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
First try to tighten the 12 screws around the diameter of the pump housing.

Check the Packard Parts X-Ref section of this website for a cross-over pump. search on "fuel pump".
Also. Be aware that the original factory pump has a rather long actuating arm the extends streight out from the pump while many replacements have a shorter elbow shaped arm.

What kind of autoparts stores do u have in your area????

Posted on: 2008/7/26 7:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Re the gasoline running out when the line is broken at the fuel pump, it depends as already pointed out on the orientation of the car, and how much gas is in the tank; it may or may not run out. With the car level and less than 1/2 tank of gas, it shouldn't. I'm to short to work on the front of the car when it's elevated so I usually keep a wooden golf tee handy when I break the connection and if gas comes out, I just stick the tee into the line to stop it until I'm ready to reconnect. Don't smoke, and a non-incadescent drop light would be adviseable.

And since the pump has been leaking, there's a good chance some of the gasoline has leaked inside and diluted the crankcase oil so don't forget to change the oil when you're finished with the pump replacement.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
As for the fuel pump x-over, a Y Block 292 Ford pump fits perfectly, I have over 6000 miles on mine. And they're available new from the local parts stores!

Posted on: 2008/7/26 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Eric. I added that to the P'info X-ref. But i had to add it twice because i forgot to add your name to the credit in the first one.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 13:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I keep a few golf tees in my dwell/tach meter box. Great tip about changing oil.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 14:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
As for the fuel pump x-over, a Y Block 292 Ford pump fits perfectly........... And they're available new from the local parts stores!

Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
..........What kind of autoparts stores do u have in your area????

Guys,
I'm sure Belgium is like Australia and local parts stores are highly unlikely to stock parts for US cars or even be able to get them in. Specialty or performance shops may be a possibility but unlikely too. So the source for most replacement parts will be the Packard vendors or eBay I suspect.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 16:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

Autoparts stores enough, but only European and Asian car parts. US cars aren't frequently seen on our roads. The last few years Dodge PickUps are very popular, they can be registered as Truck. Regular US cars are very expensive for road taxes. Here in Belgium you have to pay taxes related to the displacement of the engine.

Don't get shocked!

For example a 5.0L will cost you approx ? 2,000.- ( $ 3,120.- !! )each year ( insurances NOT included!! )
I pay for my 3.1L V6 Firebird ? 850.- ( $ 1,326.- ) each year.

These huge taxes are the reason why US cars aren't seen on the roads and also why you can buy them here very cheap!

My new Clipper is registered as OLDTIMER and I have to pay only ? 29.- ( $ 45.- ) each year.
The car had passed the technical control last week and is registered as daily driver, the chief of the control center called the Clipper "grandfather"

Eh... back on topic...

There are US car parts suppliers here, but not many of them. SPEEDSHOP in Stekene is the most known one, they can order anything you want, but the prices are high.
So with my paypal account and Ebay.com I try to find parts on the net. I had also made an order at Kanter which has delivered correctly, I think I will choose MaxMerrit right now for the fuelpump and the fuelhose.

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/7/26 16:45
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
@ Owen:

The engine oil has been replaced two weeks ago, just before noticing that the fuelpump was leaking, I will check the odour of the engine oil, but causing the fact that the engine had turned only minor time, I suppose the engine oil will not be damaged.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take care of it!!

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/7/26 16:50
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Guys,
I'm sure Belgium is like Australia and local parts stores are highly unlikely to stock parts for US cars or even be able to get them in. Specialty or performance shops may be a possibility but unlikely too. So the source for most replacement parts will be the Packard vendors or eBay I suspect.

Mal, as soon as I find a Holden, Vauxhall, Jaguar, BMW, Simca, Volkswagen, or other European car part that will interchange with a Packard, you'll be the first to know! LOL!

I'm not messing with the Japanese junk because I'm still pissed off over Pearl Harbor....

Posted on: 2008/7/26 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keith, I posted that over in the AACA forum in the Packard X-Ref thread but it was destroyed in the house cleaning that happened a while back, and I forgot to add it here.

As for the 292 Ford fuel pump, when I bought one two years ago it was around $25 U.S., and works perfectly.

If anyone wants one, the local Oreilly store is right down the street from me, I can go order one and ship it overseas for a LOT less than the "factory correct" fuel pump is for the V8's. And for that matter, I'm going to prove that a Chevy V8 fuel pump will work on the straight eights, and that opens up a whole world of possibilities for fuel pump selection.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 19:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved