Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

strange letters
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kevinkfk
See User information
found these letters taped to the trans. hump underneath the carpet . 5562 BA 2106 43 [ vin , paint , trim #'s ]. GS HE RUE RR BU PS EWL ST

WS SF FS AG VM OB OF TLS

ANY HELP

Posted on: 2013/8/11 16:37
 Top  Print   

Re: strange letters
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A lucky find because so many build sheets have become unreadable or just gone missing over the years. Yours is a very well equipped car. This will help decipher the codes and what was standard or optional on models.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/55th_Series_RPO_Codes.pdf

Posted on: 2013/8/11 17:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
That certainly is a long list of option codes on that build strip. Looks like we have one more location on the car to check for the highly-coveted build code strip.

However, I'm confused by the appearance of the RR (Rear Speaker) code when RUE includes that as part of a greater radio equipment package.

Meanwhile, enjoy decoding the build strip you found (like a secret message in a bottle) using the RPO chart, but keep in mind that some standard equipment does not appear on the chart. For example, engines were part-n-parcel of the chassis and with no other choice - unless someone can provide bona fide evidence of an approved special request.

Posted on: 2013/8/11 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I also found part of the build slip for my 55 Clipper taped to the floor on the transmission hump under the carpet. My slip also listed the dealer where the Clipper was to be shipped. I posted this finding on my project blog. Nice to hear of another discovery.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/12 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kevinkfk
See User information
my strip of paper was held 2 the metal by masking tape and it also had a washer under the tape .the tape had red pencil #s and letters that i cant make out . DO YOU know anything about Torsion Level???????????????thanx kevin

Posted on: 2013/8/12 16:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

kevinkfk wrote:
DO YOU know anything about Torsion Level???????????????thanx kevin

I think several of us are quite familiar with it. What questions or problems do you have?

Posted on: 2013/8/12 17:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Follow the link to Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (aka - the FAQ Forum). It's available from every page of the site - at left, just below the User Menu.

You might wanna start with the FAQ, SUSPENSION & STEERING: Torsion-Level - A Primer, which I wrote. While it offers a only brief history and explanation of the most salient points, it provides links to factory-issued sales and service documents and even an SAE paper - all of which can be downloaded (as PDF files) for FREE from this site.

Then, if you're having problems with the system, you came to the right place to ask questions.

Meanwhile, I also encourage you, as a new owner, to visit our Model Info section, enter the model number of your car in the "Model/Chassis/Body Lookup" field, and click on the "Go" button. You'll be transported to a page that not only provides some basic specs and a general description of your car, but a list of links to the most relevant recommended selections from the site's Literature and Manuals archive.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 17:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved