Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 192

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Tracing history from body serial number?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WAKADJA1
See User information
You gave me some interesting info on the Identification thread but I am somewhat confused. Does the 59I47B stamp from Briggs have any relation to the VIN# or body style or year, if so what? In 1941, was there another set of #'s? (in addition to the Briggs & the VIN plate)
Thanks
Paul

Posted on: 2009/11/17 14:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does the 59I47B stamp from Briggs have any relation to the VIN# or body style or year, if so what? In 1941, was there another set of #'s? (in addition to the Briggs & the VIN plate)

First, the # 59147B isn't a Briggs #, it's a thief-proof number and the last character is an 8, not a B. It's in the range of such numbers for 1941. The thief-proof number has no relation to the VN, body style or chassis type, though it can be correlated to a year except in the extremely rare cases where bodies were started in one year and finished and titled as cars of a later year - this occasionally happened with the Detroit-built RHD cars and some of the Henneys, but it's not a firm, fast thing.

Two answer your second question, your car should have 3 numbers, (1) the actual vehicle number as used by motor vehicle licensing agencies and found on the patent plate on the cowl, and intended to also have the selling dealer and date of sale stamped on it, (2) the Briggs number on a small metal tag often on the upper passenger side of the cowl in 1941, and (3) the thief-proof number, the quite large number actually embossed into the upper cowl.

The thief-proof number, to quote from Packard, was an "identifying number to be used when other numbers are defaces or altered". There was a paper trail record at Packard which did correlate thief-proof numbers with the particulars for a specific vehicle; except for some small fragments I believe these records no longer exist though I intend to show an example in my upcoming article on thief-proof numbers.

Send me a PM if you're still not clear on this, or post some pictures.

Posted on: 2009/11/17 16:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WAKADJA1
See User information
Thanks for the additional help.
I'll get the pics & send them.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
The body number will tell you what year and body style it was. It should be a two part number. The first part identifies the body type and the second the number of that body type it represents (ie. if the second number is 112, that means that it was the one hundred twelfth of that body type produced that year). If you provide the body numbers, I can tell you what it represents.

Jim Wayman
'29 640 phaeton

Posted on: 2009/12/13 18:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Packard Body Identification Numbers Guide explains what the various body number are and mean.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?c17/397

Also the Packard Model Info pages allow you to browse by year or series, or search for a body or chassis/model number, and then display the information for that number.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/

For example if search for 5492 it will bring up the information on the 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan.

Lots of tools here on the website for owners to find the info they seek.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 22:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved