Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard company name.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Question: Can anyone tell me what ever happened to the Packard name after the company went out of business. Does anyone own the Packard name today? I always wondered about it. Thanks in advance for any information.Packard name

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard company name.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Bob Rubin owned it in the 70s, when I met him, last I heard the outfit from Arizona that was trying to make (ugly) new Packards had the name. Since their demise it might be available again. The Packard Club (Packard Automobile Classics) owns the rights to the trademarks.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I believe it is in the hands of a Phoenix Az company that tried to market a car under the name.

I don't know if they are active but I thought I saw some recent web stuff.

I live in Phoenix AZ but I have never checked them out nor do I know the principals.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
here's the website for it:

http://www.packardmotorcar.com/

here's another link to a story about the comeback of the Packard car company:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/09/26/packard-motor-car-co-for-sale-may-have-a-buyer/

Posted on: 2013/8/23 13:29
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I hadn't looked at the website in years. It DOES look as if updated/fresh photos are on it now.

Wasn't the company up for auction on Ebay a few years ago?

Posted on: 2013/8/23 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Directly form the home page of the PAC website:
http://www.packardclub.org/

The Packard Coat of Arms, the Packard script, and the name, "Packard" are Registered Trademarks ? of The Packard Club (PAC).

And they do enforce those trademarks.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:15
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
there is a CAD, guy there,

no wonder,,, its in limbo,,

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:44
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
And they do enforce those trademarks.

As well they should - lest they forfeit their rights.

However, keep in mind that those trademark rights extend only to a specific field of goods and services - as listed in each particular trademark's registration with the US Patents and Trademarks Office.

So, the club certainly can enforce its trademark rights for the specified version of crest and script for magazines, news bulletins, and decals, as well as the specific style of the word "Packard" for clothing, but that's about it.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
What about Packard Electric? Same name, same founder. How can they say they own the Packard name?

Posted on: 2013/8/24 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
That's a different company. The Ohio Automobile Company was formed in 1900 to build Packard automobiles. The name was changed to Packard Motor Car Company in 1902. PMCC moved to Detroit in 1903.

The Packard Electric company remained in Warren, Ohio. After the deaths of William and James Packard, PE was sold to General Motors around 1928.

And, PMCC =never= went out of business. They just stopped building automobiles. PMCC purchased the Studebaker Corporation 1954 (they called it a "merger), changing the name to the Studebaker-Packard Corporation. In 1962, the name was changed to the Studebaker Corporation; they were still the same surviving company. In later years the company merged with Worthington (becoming Studebaker-Worthington), and later merged with Wagner Electric.

For more information about the later attempts to revise the Packard name and car, read "Packard -- A History of the Motor Car and the Company, 1959 to 2008" in The Packard Cormorant #131.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 11:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved