Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starting Motor Bendix removal on my '51
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Can someone advise how to remove the Bendix from my Delco starter please?

Gear has chipped teeth and I need to place a new gear onto shaft so thought I'd swap the full Bendix with a good one I have. Disassembled the shaft from the starter but can't get the Bendix off it.

Thinking that it must be pressed on, but the Manual doesn't specify. Plate #79 in Parts book shows a Key and I would assume interference fit is all that holds the Bendix onto the armature shaft. Do I press it off?

Any help appreciated!

Posted on: 2013/8/31 21:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Starting Motor Bendix removal on my '51
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know if it is exactly the same but the 55 SM shows a retaining ring on the shaft for Delco's that has to be removed. Different Bendix but there looks to be one on the earlier starters as well. Is there anything like that on yours partially hidden under the gear?

Posted on: 2013/8/31 21:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
No retaining ring that I can see. Was expecting some circlip to be there. I saw a 'ring' on the drawing but I think that's just a washer that sits on the end of the shaft, towards the bushing in the end of the housing.

I'm going to have another close look, but I couldn't see any way forward when checking it last night.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 22:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the anti-kickout Bendix, any chance the pin was not retracted the last time so has blocked the pinion from returning all the way back to it's park position. If so, the pinion can stay stuck out enough to touch the ring gear. If that happened maybe the pinion is completely covering a ring. There is a detailed photo and description of that Bendix in Sept 52 service counselor Vol26 #9.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 22:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks for pointing me to the Bulletin Howard. I've just had another look at my Bendixes and they're identical, and probably not the anti-kickout type I suspect (due to September 52 intro date). Neither is locked forward, both appear to retract ok. Pinion damage on the bad one is probably just due to abuse and lack of care rather than locking with the flywheel I think.

Washers in the parts diagram plate #79 are just Thrust Washers (394161 & 2) and I still cannot see how the Bendix comes off armature shaft, unless it has to be disassembled to get at some circlip (or whatever holds it onto shaft). Parts list most unhelpful as it doesn't list the key seen in diagram, or any circlip etc amongst parts. I hesitate to disassemble the Bendix- it looks daunting!

If it turns out to be difficult to swap over pinion only, I could just use whole armature with good pinion attached, but that actual armature is not as good condition (electrically) as on existing so would rather get best combo if I can.

Edit: Still hoping someone can help me with this query please.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 23:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Larry,
Here's the scoop on getting that drive off the shaft. I'm assuming you have the starter apart and removed the armature with drive from the drive end housing. There is a set screw (should be slotted) on the drive opposite the gear end. You may need to pull the drive barrel/sleeve forward to unscrew the screw out far enough. This screw goes in to a hole on the armature shaft. You should be able to slide the drive off once the screw is backed out far enough. There's also a key in there, sometimes they hang up a little on the key. Just give it a tunk with a rubber hammer and it should slide off. If you're not sure the you have the screw backed out enough, you can take it all the way out. It won't hurt anything, just makes it harder to get it back in if you're re-using the drive.
If it's still confusing, give me a call or maybe I can post a picture of the drive pointing out the parts I'm referring to.
-Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Grand Ledge, MI
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com
1-866-228-0218

Posted on: 2013/9/3 19:56
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks very much Jason, I'll give that set screw a try, now that I know where to find it. I fiddled around sliding the bendix each way and didn't notice a screw, so will push it a bit further tomorrow.

Will let you know if I encounter any problems.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 6:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved