Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

TxGoat, kevinpackard, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

pre-war Ebay (not mine)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm not near as educated as you guys are but is this car incorrect with basically everything being green?

Green exterior, green interior, green dash--just doesn't seem right. But I don't know for sure that's why I'm asking--thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1941-Packard-160DE-Coup-Convertible-/141073281111?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20d89f7057#ht_500wt_1182

Posted on: 2013/9/25 15:52
 Top  Print   

Re: pre-war Ebay (not mine)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, that is a RARE one. A 160 convertible is rare enough but that's a DE (Deluxe) version based on the VN - very rare. I'm sure others know the details of the DE version better than I, but based on my friends 160 DE, I think the color coordination is correct with the possible exception of the carpet, but there are some other non-conformities, in the DE version the window sills should be real wood. Also, the upholstery pattern on the seats and door panels is incorrect. Still, I'd love to have it in my garage!

A nice 1941 160 DE convertible coupe should easily be a $80,000 car, probably more.

Here's a picture of the wood 160 DE door sill and you can get a glimse of the door panel upholstery pattern.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.42 KB)
177_5243647f788c3.jpg 800X537 px

Posted on: 2013/9/25 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think the VIN plate has been monkeyed with. It looks like a standard 160. It has crank Venti-Panes so it's not a 120 bodied fake. The difference is outlined in the data book. Green and green was a standard color scheme.

Personally, I wouldn't want wood trim because this is a convertible and I would leave the top down which would weather the wood (How's that for wording?).

Posted on: 2013/9/25 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave (O_D), thanks for the explanations.
To enlarge upon the question related to the color, that's the first car I'm aware of, that has even dayed interior plastics like speedo frame and ash tray lid. It that original?
And I have a comprehension question. The vendor is talking of a "power top". What does it mean?

Attach file:

jpg  (63.57 KB)
757_52439cdc7a2e7.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/9/25 21:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Aaahhh......no.

Not at Deluxe. As Tim said the DE prefix was added by someone - "monkeyed" with, the witness impressions are deeper that the numerals. Other tipoffs: missing genuine walnut window moulding, missing two-tone steering wheel and missing two broad beads of chrome along interior bottoms of doors.

Yes, Packard had two-tone paint schemes, but ONLY for closed cars, NOT convertibles. The closed cars have a reveal to follow and separate the two colors. Lately I've seen a number of convertibles in two-tone and they have to makeup where the dividing line was (never) supposed to be.

Other items; steering column, hand brake and heater box should NOT be in body color, should be light brown. Radio antenna mount is after market - Packard OEM has a spear-tipped end. The feather mascot is the wrong size. The 160 has a much larger & longer feather with clear portion, too. This is sized for either a 120, but more likely a 110.

What is leather/vinyl?

Instrument panel is supposed to be wood-grained - NOT body color. Only the multi-tone interior optioned cars (not in this car) have body color paint. Wood-graining is difficult and costly to do, so you will find a lot of restorations take the shortcut and do body color.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 22:01
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The vendor is talking of a "power top". What does it mean?

I presume he means vacuum-assisted top lowering and raising. I believe Plymouth in 1940 was the first to offer a power top.

And yes, looking closer at the patent plate, it's pretty clear than the "DE" part of the VN has a different ancestry than the rest of it. A "fake". Thanks guys for all the other info about the car, as I said I'm not all that familiar with these details.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Guscha:

Packard had a variety of stock colors for dash plastic and dark green was among the choices offered. Other colors include: red, maroon, ivory, tan, blue, black and gray.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 22:20
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The green plastic is correct for the Multi-Toned interior.
However, I have only seen an original green multi-toned convertible on the 120, and the parts book doesn't show green plastic for the 160. It only shows Tan, Black, and Brown, for the 160. However, I have seen original blue plastic on a 160 so the green is probably okay.

I don't think the radio came in green but heater controls did come in green.

The interior should be darker green leather with light green broadcloth with, although I've seen claims that all leather was offered. Why Packard would do that I don't know because all leather was already standard.

And that VIN plate looks to be faked. DE was a paint and trim option for body 1279. It is not part of the serial number.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I presume he means vacuum-assisted top lowering and raising. I believe Plymouth in 1940 was the first to offer a power top....

Dave, thanks for the fast reply. Have we ever talked about that stunning feature of a vacuum-assisted top on a pre-war Packard? The Soviets experimented with a hydraulically actuated top of a ZIS and at least one was built (10 years after the war).
Roger & Tim, thanks for jogging my memory. Now I remember to have often seen maroone plastics.
But green or even blue heater controls? Packard has been a great marque with a wealth of design alternatives.

Click to see original Image in a new window
bespoke tailor

[picture source: www.thecustomclotheswall.blogspot.de]

Posted on: 2013/9/25 22:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DE was a paint and trim option for body 1279. It is not part of the serial number.

Tim, I beg to differ. First, it's a vehicle number, not a serial number. And on the Deluxe versions, available in certain body styles in both the 110 and 160 series, "DE" is indeed a part of the vehicle number. Here's a patent plate for a real DE version. Paint & trim didn't begin to appear on the patent plate until early in the 22nd series.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.91 KB)
177_524434de15ac9.jpg 800X537 px

Posted on: 2013/9/26 8:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved