Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

Wat_Tyler, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: pre-war Ebay (not mine)
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Packard also offered the vacuum assist power top in 1940. Actually, it was standard equipment.

Too bad this car was "monkeyed with." As a REAL 160, it was certainly deserving to stand on its own merits even without the DE trim. The quality (based on photos) of what we see done wrong could have just as easily been done correctly. Why go through the trouble of painting the radio knobs, unless they are just make-do backyard remakes without the fine-tune feature.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 8:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Curious thing about those power-assisted convertible tops - they were only available for the coupes and not the convertible sedans. So you have to wonder how powerful the lifting mechanism was.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 11:34
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Vacuum directly off the manifold, with two lines going to each cylinder (one for the top of the cylinders and the other to the bottom of said cylinders).
Required vacuum is about 17 inches.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 11:49
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Well, I stand corrected on the VIN prefix part, but don't understand why they thought they needed it. Same body, same chassis, different trim. However, that one is a fake.

Checking again, the green is listed for the 160, as is maroon, blue, etc., but I still have my doubts about the radio. I cannot remember if the original green Multi-Tone job that crossed my way years back had a radio because there is nothing but junk on the airwaves and I don't care.
The dash knobs and heater controls are absolutely legitimate.

If you look in the data book it specifically lists two trim levels for the 160 and explicitly states the Deluxe level has the wood. So for this, given the crank Venti-Pane windows it is a legitimate 160. If the title says VIN 1279-xxxx then that takes care of that. If the DE was added because the title doesn't match the VIN plate that indicates either an acquired title or a another Packard mistake.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

There used to be an extremely original '41 120 convertible in the Eastern Packard. The late owner, John Orintas, was the chauffeur for the original owner Mrs Chase, of Watertown , Connecticut (as in Chase Brass Co.).He was with her the day it was purchased and it was willed to him. Johnny passed away around the turn of he century so he was associated with the car for about 60 years

It is the two tone green scheme used on the car in the current discussion. The dash is some sort of combination of greens and perhaps cream, but not woodgrain. I haven't seen the car for about 15 years, but found it for sale on the internet about a year ago, in Chicago

A black 180 formal sedan was purchased at the same time and was owned by the late Jack Behn, also of the Eastern Packard Club. The last I know, it was in Ohio. I had he pleasure of driving this car partway to the Packard Centennial

The 1941 Data Book, 1941 Salesman's book, parts book, and mid year Dealer's color scheme updates have minor discrepancies in the exterior and interior color/trim combinations

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2013/9/26 21:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I remember the 41 "120" convertible coupe that John speaks of quite well. It appeared as original and unmolested as any car could be and it was indeed two tone, with painted dash. The printed company literature about such matters as paint and trim, etc. was put together well before production even began and I wonder if it remained true to what was actually produced as production continued.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 22:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved