Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

Kevinanderson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Growing up with Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I spent the evening talking with my many year friend Roger. Who worked at Noll Auto in the fifties. He could probably write a book. But I got a page of notes on his life in the field of Packard lore in the Glendale, Pasadena, Eaglerock area of Los Angeles. I will condense it down, so as not to make it too long or boring. But I think some of you will be interested. If you would like it at all, where should I put it. As I stated before he does not have a computer yet. And is a quiet modest person that usually does not talk about his self much. So, if liked I will tell just a fraction of his wanderings through the fifties and mid sixties.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 0:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Growing up with Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

tolandis wrote:
I spent the evening talking with my many year friend Roger. Who worked at Noll Auto in the fifties......... But I got a page of notes on his life in the field of Packard lore in the Glendale, Pasadena, Eaglerock area of Los Angeles. I will condense it down, so as not to make it too long or boring. But I think some of you will be interested. If you would like it at all, where should I put it........ So, if liked I will tell just a fraction of his wanderings through the fifties and mid sixties.

Todd,

I believe most of us will be very interested in Roger's interaction and experiences with Packards in the 50's and mid 60's. Don't condense too much, wouldn't want to miss out on anything that may be of importance to someone. Likewise a fraction is not enough and the full range would certainly be appreciated. As to where to place it? I believe the General Forum is appropriate, as no doubt it will cover Packards of just about all eras. I'm looking forward to some insights into Packards which would otherwise be lost.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 5:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
Todd - can it be? A real Packard owner east of the San Fernando Valley???
I thought I was the only one. I'm in Valencia. We must be spreading. Acton is just a little hop over the hill.
Ron Ferguson

Posted on: 2008/8/3 6:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Hey Todd,
I think if you transfer your notes to the General Info section we'll all appreciate it, no matter how long, it would be impossible for it to be boring.
Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2008/8/3 6:50
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Yes I am actually just a stones throw from Valencia. Been in Action since 1989. Needed a place where I could build a garage big enough to house the Packards and have room left over for a small machine shop to make parts for them. Perhaps we can get together sometime. Just let me know. If you want to send me an email that would be good. Just let me know first here so that I might loosen up my spam filter first. tolandis@antelecom.net And I will start transferring Rogers notes probably tonight sometime. Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 10:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Ok, here we go. His full name is Roger Morrison. I didn't want to give it out without his permission. For those of you having Packards for many years, you may have run across him in the past. Or reproducing pianos, or Capeharts.
He does not have a computer yet, but if someone wants to contact him let me know and I will give him your phone number.
This is condensed, for those of you wanting every detail I will put you two together and perhaps with enough of our pressure he will get a computer to go on line.
For those of you that remember the movie Stand By Me, this is a bit of the same, but for Packards being involved.
It started in 1953 when Roger was 15 years old. On his travels to and from school in Eaglerock, California, he spotted in Fred Allen's Ideal Garage a 1937 12 Club sedan. With the front end off and the engine out.
After seeing this vehicle on many trips to and from school, he stopped in (not even having a drivers license yet!!!) and inquired about the vehicle.
He was told that for 150.00 he could purchase it. Well, being 15 years old he didn't come close to having that kind of fortune!
Well, Mr. Allen said give me a few dollars and you can work the rest of the summer for me doing odd jobs around the garage to pay it off. A deal was struck.
Over the summer Roger worked to get it paid off and put back together. A very complete vehicle, but without the hood. Mr. Allen said that someone had stolen it. More on that later.
Now it is time for Roger to go back to high school. What does a 15 year old with no drivers license, and his parents do not even know, do with a Packard 12.
He rents a neighbors garage for 5 dollars a month.
So, here he comes driving the 12 to the rented garage and there is his younger brother, gasping at this huge vehicle, and small Roger behind the wheel.
Roger's brother immediately see's the missing hood, and tells Roger he knows where it is. Come with me, and down the street there it is in a neighbors backyard, where the kids made it into an airplane, to sit on.
But still complete and in good shape, so it goes on to the car, and it is complete.

I am going to leave it off here for now so as not to make it too long at one time.
You will learn in the next chapter how he came to be at the first of a few Packard dealerships in the area.

Gee, just like on old serial movie from the 1940's.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 19:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Great job, Todd!

I obtained an example of the postcard from Roger well over a decade ago, but I don't wanna hijack your thread - except to say keep these installments coming!

Posted on: 2008/8/3 21:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
Todd
I would like to meet you for a cup o coffee someday. I also have a 1940 120 but not the Super. I regularly attend the Wednesday night car meet at Saugus In & Out Burger. Lots of great cars and a friendly bunch too.
Ron Ferguson 661 291-2407

Posted on: 2008/8/3 23:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

tolandis wrote:
Gee, just like on old serial movie from the 1940's.

Todd,

As used to be said: "Don't miss the next thrilled packed episode". Looking forward to the next one.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 4:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Quote:

RedRon wrote:
Todd - can it be? A real Packard owner east of the San Fernando Valley???
I thought I was the only one. I'm in Valencia. We must be spreading. Acton is just a little hop over the hill.
Ron Ferguson

Hi Ron:

I used to live in the San Fernando Valley. You can be ASSURED you arent the only "real Packard owner east of the San Fernando Valley" besides Roger !

But I am not familiar with the latest goings-on in Southern California. When did they move Valencia to a point east of the San Fernando Valley ? Last time I was in Valencia (about two weeks ago...) it was right where I left it - northWEST of the Valley (above San Fernando).

Must have been quite an earth-moving project. Surprised I didn't see that in the 6 '0 clock news....

Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:30
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved