Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

ElGroucho, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

weatherstripping
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I'm getting ready to replace the weatherstripping around the doors and trunk of my '55 400. Any vendor recommendations and installation advice will be greatly appreciated. I have looked at Steele's web sight already. Thanks, Brian

Posted on: 2013/10/20 19:54
 Top  Print   

Re: weatherstripping
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think that Kanter and Steele are the two choices for getting something reasonably close to proper rubber without a lot of aggravation. Since you are doing more than one item, you might inquire about Kanters Weatherstrip Kits and see if he has anything that would work out to be less expensive.

MetroMolded has some rubber of a more generic type. If you get the proper configuration and dimensions, theirs will work but not sure it is that much cheaper.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 20:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Thanks Howard. I'll be calling Steele in the morning. I have a question for them. Packard plate 20C shows 2 pieces, one along the bottom of the door, wrapping up towards the latch, then a second piece that connects to the bottom piece and goes up to the latch area. Looking at the pictures on Steele's websight, they use one piece that runs the length of the bottom of the door up to the latch. It probably doesn't make a difference when it comes to keeping the water out but at these prices I want it to be correct. Brian

Posted on: 2013/10/21 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
let us know if it comes with the metal strip that goes into the bottom of the door with the tabs. the one I just took off my passenger's door look like it was impregnated into the rubber.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 9:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Steeles replacement did not have the steel piece imbedded for my 400.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
how did you mount it then?

Posted on: 2013/10/28 12:56
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not to jump in on Randy, but I'd use weatherstrip adhesive, 3M makes a very good one. I've had occasion to replace some original weatherstrip that had imbedded metal with reproductions that did not, though I wish they had been as the OEM, it certainly presented no problems either at the time of installation or subsequently.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Dave, that is exactly what I did and tried to be careful and not squeeze excess out.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i figured it was an adhesive. i just wondered if he somehow used the metal thing or not. again i didn't figure he did.

my reason is that i'm doing the bottom of my passenger's door and now i see no reason to drill out the holes for the tangs on the metal since they wont ever be used again and would be a waste of my time.

the weep hole i'll put back.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 15:49
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved