Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

Pack120c, Flybiker18, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

radio removal from a 1950 packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

davekurk
See User information
My father owns a 1950 Packard with a radio that has a broken tuning knob cable? I was able to get under the dash and loosen the retaining bolts/nuts but I can't get it out from under the dash. Does anyone know how to remove the unit. It is quite large/heavy and doesn't seem to want to come out from behind the dash. Any info. would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave

Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:59
 Top  Print   

Re: radio removal from a 1950 packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
dropping the radio cabinet down from its position is a VERY tough squeeze. Not sure if that is what you are asking. Is that the issue ? Or is it that the radio wont come out of the dash itself ?

Over the years, the foam rubber "bumper" that surrounds the speaker turns into a hard glue-like substance. Practically GLUES the radio cabinent to the dash sheet metal. You may have to take a bent knife blade to cut that to get it out, if in fact that is your problem.

How about some good hi resolution close up photographs of what you have done so far ?

Posted on: 2008/8/4 13:10
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Dave:

I just removed the radio from my 1948 Victoria convertible a few days ago, and usually the 1948-1950 are very similar. You obviously found the 2 nuts/lock washer/washers that secure the radio at the top, and the threaded hook that secures it on the bottom. You also have to disconnect the power supply and antenna motorola plug. The only thing I had to remove to make room to drop the radio through was the heat duct that runs horizontally along the base of the firewall; 2 sheet metal screws at each end and it's out.

Let me know if this helps.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 23:26
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I found it very helpful to remove the transmission floor cover. Flip the carpet from the passenger side to the drivers side and remove the screws holding the tranny cover in place. Remove the cover and this gives you room to drop the radio straight down before tilting the bottom toward you. It helps when replacing the radio also.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 23:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

davekurk
See User information
I have the radio loose and ready to come out but it won't fit out the bottom or out the side. I have removed the glove box also but still can't figure out how to get it from out behind the dash.

Posted on: 2008/8/9 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How about the heat duct mentioned above.

Posted on: 2008/8/9 9:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Last time I took a radio out of a bathtub it was a long time ago, maybe 35 years and I don't remember the details except that it was a snug drop below the dash, but otherwise an easy 15 or 20 minute job. Whether the heat duct has to come our or not I don't remember but it's only a couple of screws anyway. I have a distant memory about some obscure fastener somewhere, you haven't said if the radio is free to wobble in the dash or not - if not I suggest you look further for another bracket or fastener, or perhaps as has been suggested the rubber has vulcanized itself to the dash.

Posted on: 2008/8/9 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I just remove one. It is very tight. I had to remove the heater defroster duct. I barely got it past the heater and vent cables. If your radion will not come out past them you might need to loosen them so you can move them.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/8/9 18:09
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Any advice on on removing the radio from my 53 Cavalier? TIA

Posted on: 2023/5/16 23:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm sure I have pictures somewhere on my 54 blog. But generally, you remove the knobs, remove the shaft nuts.

Underneath there a small bracket that connects the bottom of the radio to the bottom edge of dash. It's right next to the under dash light bulb. Also remove the underpass light bulb bracket as it will be in the way.

Start to drop the radio down, you may have to push the heater/vent control cables out of the way.

Once you get it down a little bit, unplug the antenna from the left side of the case. Once you get it down a little bit more, you can disconnect the power wire by opening the inline fuse holder.

Then it drops down and you kind of have to rotate it towards the seat at the same time.

Install is the reverse. I've always found removing it is easier than installing it.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 6:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved