Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
264 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 263

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

grease zirks
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Decided to grease the frontend of my 36 120 today, and I discovered that the grease zirks from 77 yrs ago don't fit the greaseguns from the 21st century. Are there adapters available?

Posted on: 2013/11/30 13:10
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: grease zirks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That seems strange, almost impossible that the fittings and gun would be incompatible. Zerks (not zirks) fittings came on the scene about 1929 and pretty much unchanged since. Those on my 34 work fine with today's grease guns.

How about a picture of one of the grease fittings in question. Perhaps your car was changed to the old cross-pin type Alemite fittings? If so an adapter is available from MSC.

If the grease just squirts out around the fitting, perhaps the ball-check valve in the zerk is frozen shut - just replace the fitting with a new one and see if that works. Old clogged fittings are not the least bit uncommon.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 14:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Held the camera upsidedown apparently

Attach file:

jpg  (91.87 KB)
5061_529a682280306.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2013/11/30 17:35

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if yours is one of the grease gun fittings which are metric based & maybe cheaply made. Even though they are supposed to be "universal" I found some are a bit too tight.

I have a small cheapo import cartridge type gun where the fitting went on but on first use was very reluctant to release. On one of the 56 zerks that look exactly like yours, I managed to pull the press in zerk right out of the forging. Had to do some serious twisting and prying to finally release it from the gun.

Bought another end (also import) of the same type but looked to be better finished. It does not have the problem. I chalked the first one up to just poor mass production quality.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 18:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear BDC:

I haven't seen anything in tool catalogues about non-American zerk fitting couplers. Snap-On says universal.

The fittings themselves may be clogged or (If you are using a hand grease gun) the grease may not have sufficient pumpability for the gun. You can buy new fittings at the auto store or from McMaster-Carr. Also, those couplers can wear out and cause problems. Make sure you wipe/brush off the fittings because trying to grease a dirty fitting will cause a dirt clog.

If you are using a hand gun then a good grease to use on the Packard (and other non-ball joint applications) is Pennzoil 707. The suspension should be unloaded (wheels off the ground and jacked under the frame) otherwise you can blow the caps off the lower control arms and king pins. Pennzoil 707 is not an extended service interval grease so will need to be greased once a year or 2000 miles. But it is a dream to use in hand grease guns.

Another choice is Chevron Delo Chassis grease #1, but you may not be able to find it.

I used to get bitched at for how long I spent on some grease jobs, but if the fittings don't take grease they have to be repaired. On the Caddy 8/12/16 there are upwards of 60 fittings. I guess they are happier now with worn out suspensions.

Don't forget too that if the center link fitting isn't visible the wheels need to cranked over to gain access to the fitting.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 23:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The fittings on my clipper were stuck with petrified grease.

I bought a large box of assorted Zerk fittings at HF for < $10 and changed all of them on my clipper. My Craftsmen grease gun worked on all of them. My grease gun tightens down over the end of the Zerk fitting with an adjustable collet tip.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Well I was going to grease some of my equipment yesterday and low &behold the same problem occurred! So it must be the grease gun fitting that's messed up! Better get a new end for that tomorrow.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 23:44

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved