Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 247

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

suspension sagging
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
I have a 46 Clipper and recently after a long trip the front left has started sagging ( image attached ) .

We had put in new front shock absorbers a few months before the trip. Coils are a year old only and new & not reconditioned OR tempered. The rear shock absorbers are also new gas filled from Kanter . Though we have zero ride issues and it is as smooth, I really need to know what could cause this problem

Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (123.17 KB)
2057_52adbb0d63129.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2013/12/15 9:27
 Top  Print   

Re: suspension sagging
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thst much sag could be due to a weak spring - even if only a year old. It can happen regardless of make or supplier.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't know about this particular model, but generally on a coil spring front suspension, the ends of the coils usually sit in a "pocket" in the lower A-arm that keeps them from rotating. Perhaps when new front springs were installed, the spring end missed the pocket slightly, but now has indeed rotated to a position away from the pocket. If this were the P-side, then that would cause the static spring force to be greater than the D-side, which would elevate the P-side and make it look like the the D-side is sagging.

OTOH, maybe the D-side spring has relaxed it's tension for whatever reason.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/15 10:57
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Kasi:

If the right front is high the left rear leaf spring is sagging.

If the left front is sagging then the new springs aren't working out.

If the coils are in the wrong position that will cause a creaking sound. Usually there are two holes in the lower control arm and the end of the coil needs to be between those two holes. If there is only one hole, the hole needs to be half to covered.

I've seen the springs seat rot out, but the car looks too clean for that.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I thought that car had the hydraulic knee shocks on the front??

Posted on: 2013/12/15 12:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Packard49 Quote:

And the shocks have exactly what to do with the car sagging on one corner? Zero. Even gas charged shocks don't make a difference. Now if there were "air lifts" or somesuch shocks in the back, maybe. In this case, I don't think so because the OP did not describe them as such. The problem is a spring or placement of spring.

In the rear leaf springs, which I presume this car has, one can have a broken leaf that goes completely unnoticed until removed and disassembled. A broken leaf provides no lift for it's part. That also could be the problem.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/15 13:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:

Yes, knee actions shocks were used on the front through the 23rd Series. Yet, in no way does that shock absorber support the weight of the car; it merely acts as a damper.

Now, I can imagine that the internals of the knee action unit could bind. I've even experienced that with tube type shocks and modern struts - though not very often. However, there would much more to complain about than just sagging, but the owner indicates ride is OK.

Meanwhile, I hadn't considered a problem with a rear leaf spring, but nothing from the one image provided suggests that.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BH Quote:
Yes, knee actions shocks were used on the front through the 23rd Series. Yet, in no way does that shcok abosrber support the weigth of the car; it merely acts as a damper.

I can imagine that the internasl could bind - have even seen that in tube type shocks and modern struts. However, there would much more to complain about than just sagging.

Brian, it's good to know that on occasion you and I agree about something.

Getting back to the OP's original problem: it may well be that he's or his mechanic is going to have take the entire suspension apart to find the culprit. Oh, I hate that.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/15 16:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Arthur C, 1602-1191
See User information
Some 16th series 120's have stronger rear springs for the driver's side; could this apply to yours?

Posted on: 2013/12/15 17:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
Thank you Sirs, I am actually going to take all the points mentioned and run thru the car to see what the issue could be . Then the coils could have actually given way and need to be replaced :(

There is a squeaking noise from the front which has made me wonder if the coil has actually fitted properly as mentioned .... big job ahead

Thank you

Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved