Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windscreen wiper disassembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I am wanting to re-chrome the wiper pivot mechanisms on my '51 and am wondering if these can be taken apart. The chroming works recommends it be disassembled.

It isn't very evident as to whether the shaft can be pressed out, and then re-inserted. Hoping someone can tell me if (- and how -) it can be done. Thanks in anticipation.

51 Wiper Pivot Assembly
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2014/1/6 6:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Windscreen wiper disassembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe it can be.

There are a couple of different styles. If the same as another I tore apart (don't remember year), the back is open and believe the cable is permanently attached to a one piece wheel and shaft assy. That assy looks to have been inserted from the rear into the chrome housing and then the exposed knurled arm attachment is installed over the shaft. The end of shaft is then flattened or riveted over to hold all together.

There is another style where the back of chrome is partially closed. That one is a little more vague. It appears the wheel and cable is first inserted from below then shaft is pressed into the wheel and cable assy from the front. Shaft is maybe just a splined press fit but possibly flattened over the cable wheel to lock together.

Wish I could say definitely they can be disassembled. If you had another to play with to check possibility, if that is the one with open back, it might be feasible to grind the end of the shaft off to disassemble. After chroming, thread the shaft and reattach the knurled or wheel part back with a thin head screw. Not sure how large the screw could be to secure the attachment so maybe wouldn't work. Sure wouldn't attempt that on your only good ones though.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had a pair of these replated for the 56 Carib without diassembling. You need a really skillful plater and even then there is some risk, but proper use of platers putty and plater's tape, correctly applied, and it can be done. I'd suggest talking in more detail your plater and if he's still reluctant, try some other platers who have greater experience in plating assemblies with moving parts.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks for your help Howard and O-D. I will try other plater(s) and get opinions. Certainly agree that it should be possible to chrome them 'as is'.

Am also contemplating what might turn out to be 'destructive testing' of a spare pivot I have available. (It's a bit like carrying out a sacrificial deed for the benefit of Packard owners everywhere). If several platers tell me they cannot do a decent chroming job with the part intact / assembled then I will try pressing out the shaft.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 7:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have taken them apart by pressing out the shaft from the back to the front as you suggest. I greatly feared to do it, but it actually went quite easily both apart and back together. It also gives you a dandy chance to clean the shaft and lube the bushings. The only actual press fit is the shaft through the pulley that is hidden up inside. Merely mark which way it faces after the shaft is out and you extract it.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks Ross, I'll give it a try once I have cleaned away enough junk to enable me to get to my press again.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 19:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved