Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 114

Ernie Vitucci, DM37, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

California Title Help
Just popping in
Just popping in

600miles
See User information
My girlfriend and I bought a 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe 4 door sedan. It had been parked since 1994. With the normal things one must do when a car has been parked we got it running after about 2 weeks of ownership and we started doing the brakes.

We bought it from a reputable seller/friend and it came with a clean California title. The problem is it was registered with the engine number as being the VIN but there is no engine number on the engine.

Along the driver side raised portion toward the back of the engine it is just a lumpy casting. In California when a car has been off the road for X amount of time we must have an officer match the car VIN with the title or we can lose the title and get the vehicle inspected with just a bill of sale.

My question is then if there is no engine number, what number should I use on my new title? I have the stainless steel Packard tag with the 4 & 4 digits, I have the Briggs body number and I have the Anti-Theft number.

Currently:

Vehicle ID Number M301163
Body Type Model SDTR5492

I have a similar problem with my 1940 Nash but I did find the VIN tag rivetted to the chassis after a bit of searching.

Miles
(Santa Cruz Mtns,California)

Posted on: 2014/2/22 23:10
 Top  Print   

Re: California Title Help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm unfamiliar with CA regulations but others will help you with that, I'm sure. But the stainless tag on the driver's door jam if it's original to the car gives the original vehicle number which should also correspond to the Briggs body tag. Thus the correct VN should be 5492-XXXX.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 23:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Has the engine been changed? If so, then the earlier inline 8 locations were around the distributor -- sometimes on a smooth pad and other times just stamped into the rough casting. Service engines had no usual numbers and if a service engine was installed then it could be absent. If it is the original engine, since the title was under engine number it must have been visible once. You are talking the flat area just below the head/block parting line and a few inches above the starter motor? Any chance it was stamped so lightly that dirt and grease have covered it up? Have you tried the wire brush and chalk.

I think the number used is going to be determined by the inspecting officer. You can explain them but the door post would be the choice if he gives options. That is the official body ID number. The last time I was involved with a car being inspected for new registration, the guy would only use the thief proof number. He explained the others were on plates and the embossed TPN was the only number he said could not be removed or changed.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 23:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
FWIW, here in Illinois we have lately heard a number of horror stories involving titling. Thus far the secy of stae (our DMV) is getting the brunt of the criticism, although homeland security is also being criticized.

It used to be that going to a knowledgeable currency exchange would solve most problems....

Why the apparent hysteria over such old cars? I don't see the threat???????

Our state is so broke that the absolute last thing on its mind should be tilting with windmills...

Posted on: 2014/2/23 1:37
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information

Posted on: 2014/2/23 1:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is the 1954 new car information that Packard sent to the states available?

I have seen the 1955 & 1956 ones. It gives the state offices the information on how the cars are to be titled, I believe.

Maybe that will help support your case for using the data plate information.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 11:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Do you have a copy of the Calif title or its last registration, if so, it should be easy.

My car was missing its VN plate, had no title, and was last registered in 1986 using the.engine serial.number. I had a 3rd party certified car verifier come and validate the numbers. With that in hand I was able to go my local AAA office, anf get a new title and registration.

If it needs to be verified, DO NOT use CHP as it will takes weeks or months and half of them don't even know what they are looking at. Spent the $100 and have a vehicle verifier come inspect it.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 11:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

600miles
See User information
I have the Calif title, that's not any help if the woman used a number that doesn't exist. I consider myself an expert when it comes to the DMV waiving back fees. But in this case the number she used - I cannot find.

So I just need to know if I use the VN number or the Anti Theft number?

My car is supposed to have a 327 engine but the head reads 288 AT

Posted on: 2014/2/23 12:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Kev,
When you mention a title verifier was he listed as such or
was he though a title company?
Here the auto title companies seem to be mainly occupied in
getting paperwork to and from the capitol mainly for dealers.
Any cars have to be inspected by a state patrol officer, but in
my experience they are mainly looking for stolen numbers or
chop shop output.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The M301163 number you provided is an engine number for a 1954 Clipper Deluxe or Super with the 327 cu. in. motor. The 288 AT on the cylinder head would indicate that the head has been probably been changed. It was common practice to replace the 327 head with a 288 head for higher compression ratio.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/23 12:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved