Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Synopsis of my 1st and last experience at Chickasha SWAP Meet
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lionel
See User information
Since I recently became the proud owner of not one, or two BUT, three Packards I have been fortunate enough to have run into a bunch of really nice and fabulous people.

Last Wednesday, I packed my SUV with friends and headed up to Chickasha, Ok for the the pre-war SWAP Meet. We left Dallas about 6:00am and met with some friends along the way for the drive to Chickasha. On the way I got a speeding ticket on an obvious speed trap; were the cop gave me a "discount". Once he arrived at Chickasha we headed up to the Fair ground to see if we can find some good stuff for our Packards and Studebakers. On the first day, before the Swap meet got started my friend Luigi was able to find fog lamps, points, and some condensers for his cars while I on the other hand was not lucky at all.

On that night, we headed out to Oklahoma City and stopped at two pre-war private collections and I must say that it was a real treat. The visit to both places were indeed worth the trip alone.

First official SWAP meet opening day, I arrived around 9:00 am and walked around the fair ground to find nothing more than a sea of lanes of rusty Ford Model A and Model T cars and parts. There was really not much else there other than Ford anywhere you turn your eyes.

Although, my experience was great it will be my first and last time I have no plans to go back to Chickasha. I will instead focus on finding what I need for my Packards on more reliable networks and known Packard sources.

The moral of the story, IF you are a Ford Model A and Model T guy, this will be a great experience for you. But, if you are after the more rare and higher end car, try else where.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 22:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Synopsis of my 1st and last experience at Chickasha SWAP Meet
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I know its a long way for you, but Hershey is where you want to go. Also the various Packard only swap meets.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 7:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Packards1 makes an interesting point so,

What are the Packard only swap meets?

PAC national meet, held all over North America usually in the summer
PI national meet, held in California in February

Regional
Texas Packard meet in Salado TX usually the 1st weekend in April
Mid-Atlantic Packards has a meet in Fredrick MD in May?
River Raisin Packards has a meet in Perrysburg OH in May? **
America's Packard Museum, Dayton OH, February? **
NorCal Packards, CCCA, Pacific Packards has a meet in September? **

Non-meet sources include

PAC has the "Yellow Pages" for some Packard vendors.
Packard Information website wanted forum
PAC website wanted forum
PAC publication The Cormorant News Bulletin"
PI magazine

** added to the list.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
add "Perrysburg" (it's not always held in that town) in May - near Toledo, OH

Posted on: 2014/3/21 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
add "Perrysburg" (it's not always held in that town) in May - near Toledo, OH

Perrysburg WAS a great Packard only swap meet (with car show) - attended by many people, regardless of club affiliation (if any at all). I spent as much on Packard stuff at Perrysbrg as I did (sometimes more than) at Fall Hershey. You could count on at least half a dozen sizeable vendors, plus a score of hobbyists being there with a great selection of parts and literature. Mike Dulinski used to bring a trailer load of nice used V8 parts all the way from MN - up until the time the price of fuel became prohibitive.

However, I found the event much less appealing after they moved it to Fremont - though about 20 minutes closer to me and in spite of indoor selling space. I only visited that venue a couple of times - don't recall purchasing a single thing there

Seems like the event was completely abandoned by MCP, in favor of the Proving Grounds site. That's too far for me. I could easily do Perrysburg, round-trip, in one-day; with no hotel costs, that's more $$$ I have to spend with vendors.

I heard that another region tried to revive the event at the original site, but gave up after two or three seasons. I wish they had promoted it a bit better (that is, outside of club newsletters).

Posted on: 2014/3/21 13:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have had similar experience looking for Packard parts at the Iola and Jefferson Wisconsin car swap meets. Not surprising I guess considering how few Packards were produced compared to the Big Three. I occasionally did find some Packard gems but it took some digging and any old car swap meet is fun for me so not complaining just saying.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I must respectfully disagree. I flew to OK from PA, spent 3 nights in a hotel. I found plenty of Packard parts, and vendors with or access to Packard stuff. I saw Pierce arrows, 30s Chevys, Overlands, Willy-knights, etc, etc. I met people from all over the country who now know what I am looking for and will look in areas that I can not. I collected a number of cards from people willing to do business with me, and a former intern at the Daytona Packard museum. Yes, I didn't take any parts home for my car, I did however learn a lot, which made it in my view, well worth the trip. I have also gone to Packard only swaps and generally walked away with nothing.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Perrysburg is on this year, same Holiday Inn. Check out the PAC website or publications for the info.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Also, see this thread on the AACA Website.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 19:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Perrysburg is on this year, same Holiday Inn. Check out the PAC website or publications for the info.

Couldn't find a thing about Perrysburg on the PAC Calendar, but I found a page with details via Google:

http://riverraisinpackardclub.com/Perrysburg_2014.html

I like that it's scheduled later in the month - perhaps they'll be able to avoid the rainy season.

Might help attendance if they published an list of vendors registered for the event - a few weeks in avdance.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 8:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved