Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1955-56 fender mirror
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I may have asked this question a while back, but I can't find the answer. We're looking for reproduction fender mirrors. Do they exist? Would like to have one for the passenger side.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.88 KB)
404_533495fd22050.jpg 432X245 px

Posted on: 2014/3/27 16:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955-56 fender mirror
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did they have special fender mirrors or are those just the regular side mirrors mounted on the fender? Accessory section in parts manual only lists the side mirrors. I believe those may have been repro'd a long time ago but are probably gone now. Kanter says "inquire" in his 55-6 catalog so while not promising, he may possibly have something.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 16:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Possibly the same as side mirrors. They're just a lot easier to see placed on the fender than the door. I've seen photos with mirrors placed in either position. Is there a correct/incorrect position?

Posted on: 2014/3/27 16:40
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Does Jay Fisher make theses?

Posted on: 2014/3/27 16:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, there is a correct position. The 55/56 Packard outside mirror accessory kit contained a template which provided the position for both the door and fender mounting. It's for the left (driver's side) and is just reversed for use on the right side. I've posted this template before on this site; if you can't find it and still want it I'll see if I still have the image.

I got my fender mirror from Jay Fisher some years back but I was under the impression that he had closed his business perhaps 2 years ago; superb product, stratospheric price. He must be close to 90.

PS - found the template. Of course you'll have to enlarge it to real size based on the ruler in the picture. For fender mount, in image 2 the uppermost line represents the curvature of the top of the front left fender where it meets the cowl and fender. I suppose I could overlay the template on my 56 and give you some dimensions, probably easier than you enlarging the template to full size.

UPDATE: Looking at later comments, yes - with my posture and seating position my view of the door-mounted mirror is bisected by the vent window post; I've just learned to move my head a bit to get a clear view.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.81 KB)
177_5334aae3d8f31.jpg 931X1280 px

jpg  (119.26 KB)
177_5334aaf807ff5.jpg 929X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/3/27 17:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
We're looking for reproduction fender mirrors. Do they exist? Would like to have one for the passenger side.

There's only one CORRECT side view mirror for 55-56 - PA469482. The same mirror is used for LH or RH - whether mounted on door or fender.

American Arrow (Don Sommer) had advertised reproduction of mirrors for 51-56 Packard decades ago. I ordered one for my 56 Patrician back in 1987, but when I went to install it a few months later, I couldn't get a proper view to the rear from the driver's seat and noticed that the glass wasn't correctly set in the head. I called to complain and was advised to ship it back for repair. I got the repaired mirror back with a dent/gouge in the head, and I still couldn't adjust it to get a good view. I called to complain, but they insisted it was an authentic reproduction. As you can see by the attached images it is NOT (looks more like the 51-54 stem, to me).

Jay Fisher's repro function correctly, but bolts on from inside the door; as such, I'm not sure how easy it would be to mount that one on the front fender. Also, the style of the head for his repro was quite different from original; the glass glues in - more like a mirror from the 60s or 70s.

Quote:
They're just a lot easier to see placed on the fender than the door.

My dad mounted a pair of these very mirrors on his (then) new 56 Executive hardtop for that very reason.

While either location is correct, my dad's car had the twin rear electric antennas mounted on the rear fenders. When the antenna is mounted on the front fender, I think the mirror looks better when mounted on the door.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.67 KB)
103_5334b53896ef4.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (71.34 KB)
103_5334b54a9431e.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (65.92 KB)
103_5334b55607f0b.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (67.84 KB)
103_5334b5621b998.jpg 400X302 px

Posted on: 2014/3/27 18:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jay Fisher's repro function correctly, but bolts on from inside the door

I can't agree wholly with that statement. Perhaps at one time Mr. Fisher's mirrors did attach from inside the door but the PA469482 that I bought from him in 2002/2003 attached entirely from the exterior, exactly as shown in the template shown above. The screw that faces outward that actually grips the mirror base does not penetrate the door, its inserted in the outward indentation of the bracket before the bracket is affixed to the door or fender, and then tightened into the mirror base by virtue of an Allen-head recessed into the end of it. The template and installation instructions were provided by Mr. Fisher with the mirror itself.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 23:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
A caution.

My mirrors came on the car. The drivers mirror is fine, but the passenger side mirror is borderline unusable for two reasons: the post between vent and main window bisects the mirror thus obliterating most of it from where I sit. More to the point, the mirror head will not position so I can use what is left of the image.

Moral: Check before you drill....

Posted on: 2014/3/28 0:35
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Thanks for all the replies, and for the templates. Will do some searching. The fender-mount position for the passenger side seems to be mandatory if the driver needs to see out of it. With a Caribbean, the radio antenna is not an issue.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 8:16
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Were "Yankee mirrors" used as well? I have seen them on some Packards.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 8:51
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved