Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

su8overdrive, Vaughan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Carter "Carstarter"
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Once I got the amateur re-wire undone, the Carter Carstarter switch works fine on my '50. It's just one more thing that most people haven't seen and makes my Packard unusual. I'm even considering wiring/activating the switch on my '41 Limo (has a '48 356 with the Carter 531S carburetor).

Posted on: 2014/4/2 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think the Carter carburetor people came up with that one, I'll have to search the patents, and that's why it's not a P exclusive. Yes, many old timers used to "rev" it up on starting. How else you supposed to hear those superbly quiet motors run?
For those who asked. You can direct wire to the solenoid from the key switch. i.e, "by-pass" - route the hot wire that goes to the carb and put where the other side comes back to the solenoid. I hooked mine up just to see if it would work, and when it didn't, I just placed a jumper wire from one side to the other to take it out of the circuit. Too many wraps of tape to undo. If I ever get the urge to rebuild the L8 (unlikely), I'll look at HH's info and see if I can repair it.
ps:I've been absent the forum because I couldn't resist one of those Harley Earl competitor cars that helped P's demise and I'm working on it (driver) in lieu of the P at the moment. My P fastback has no FINS!(YET!)
Nine years:'49 L8 = 130 HP vs '58 GM V8 = 310 HP???? And it looks great with 3/4 wide whites! (blasphemer to some/many? or just crazy...)

Posted on: 2014/4/5 18:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

VITO1950
See User information
1953 MAYFAIR WITH ULTRAMATIC.
CAR WONT START: NEUTRAL SAFETY SW.
I BYPASSED THE CARTER 'CARSTARTER' SWITCH. STILL DID'NT START. THEREFORE THE CARTER SW IS GOOD.
THEN I TRYED MOVING THE SHIFTER BACK-FORTH WHILE DEPRESSING THE FLOOR START SWITCH. IT TRYED FOR A SECOND TO CRANK AND STOPPED. I'M INCLINED TO BELIEVE IT'S A NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH SOME WHERE. WHERE IS THIS SWITCH LOCATED? ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS? VITO1950

Posted on: 2014/5/13 6:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a 53 it is screwed into the drivers side of the transmission just above the oil pan and almost to the rear of the case. It is a roundish item with a hexagonal base a little over an inch in diameter having two wires plugged into the end. Located slightly forward of the manual select lever. It has a plunger operated by the detent plate inside the trans so if the linkage is loose or out of adjustment that could be part of the problem. Possible but somewhat less likely is the plunger end is worn down or the detent plate is loose inside the trans.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 8:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved