Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Air ride??
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
Has anyone put air ride on a packaged?? I have a 2202 and really want to put it on air, I have found some universal kits, but Am I asking for trouble??
I'm doing a frame off restored keeping it as original as pos.

Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2014/4/25 22:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Air ride??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
You want to put air ride on it why?

So you can slam it to the ground (let all the air out of the bags) and look cool?

Or do you think the air ride will give you a "better" ride?

Craig

Posted on: 2014/4/26 0:53
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
See if you can find some Packard folks nearby and go for a ride in one of those cars before you make any decisions about what to change. Those things ride beautifully. Air springs add another level of complexity and unreliability--and may not even make it ride better. Oh, and then you have to engineer a way to locate the rear axle.

Yes they do lean a lot in the corners like most cars of the era, but then you can install a rear anti-roll bar which is an easy and inexpensive mod that has great effect.

Likewise the different components in the electrical system. In my experience it is way easier and cheaper to clean and service the original components, including the pretty gages and cool switches than to do all the engineering necessary to have new stuff mount and function.

I'm never in a hurry to replace something that has worked with good reliability for 60 years with something with a 90 day warranty.

Posted on: 2014/4/26 6:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Ross, well said.

Posted on: 2014/4/26 7:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
...I'm never in a hurry to replace something that has worked with good reliability for 60 years with something with a 90 day warranty.

I'm keeping this for future use... has to be the "Quote of the month".

Posted on: 2014/4/26 7:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
What does air suspension have to do with your stated desire to keep it as original as possible?

Posted on: 2014/4/26 22:29
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
The car has such a cool low look, I wanted to be able to lower at will, I'm doing a frame off, so I'm not sure of the ride, and I have no one close with one,
I do like the low look.
Having a lowerd truck, I know it's nice to be able to lift it to drive position when needed.
I'm doing a 12 volt convertion, so air just fit..
I'm open to any ideals.

Posted on: 2014/4/26 23:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved