Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

DavidM, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 Custom Low Compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If needed are there any accessories, or jigs for grinding the valve stems on a bench, or surface grinder? I have both.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The manual has the mechanics use the valve refacer to grind off the stem. Don't know if that holds the valve in a certain position but the important thing is to make sure the face is square to the stem..

I used an ordinary bench grinder but did adjust the work holder so it was a flat 90 degrees and sort of rolled the stem over the surface while barely touching the wheel. An experienced mechanic could probably do it by eye but since there was no expert here it was done carefully a tiny bit at a time with a check in between grinds so as not to go too far. I think the hardest part of the thing was getting the engine positioned properly on each cylinder so the cam lobes were correct.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 10:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
There are a couple used valve grinders for sale here in Vegas, but neither have the stem grinding attachment, and I hate to spend several hundred for a machine that will get used once or twice.
You are right about making sure you are on the heel of the cam. Might the position of the piston be of any help?
Any info about the imported lifters? If I am going this far, might just replace all of them. Even though the ones in there now have just 13000 miles on them.
I am not sure there are experienced mechanics anywhere around here. Just swap out old, put in already rebuilt new.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 11:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might the position of the piston be of any help?
Each cylinder needs to be TDC on the compression stroke so lifter assy is fully down. Just cranking the engine around to that spot with the socket wrench was the effort part.

I can't offer any info on the lifters. Haven't been looking for any and didn't even realize repros for the 356 were available now. For a long time there was nothing available for that engine except finding NOS or good used. With only 13K on yours, would hate to think they need replacing-- although having a nice --even a used set-- might come in handy some day.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 11:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Probably keep the battery charger on, and starter click it into position. Would imagine there is plenty of space on heel of cam so TDC does not need a gauge on piston top, eyeing ok?
Looks like the head is coming off again.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 12:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PNR sells them. Also Ron Carpenter sells them. I used to sell them and had quite a few extras which I gladly loaned out for free. Unfortunately most of the folks I loaned them to never returned them so I no longer loan them out.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 14:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
I believe that your oil filter is plumbed wrong. The inlet to the filter is the outside top fitting and the outlet is the center bottom fitting. Filter elements are made to flow from the outside to the inside.

Packard made a change to the plumbing to address noisy lifters, my 47 and 48 356's have this change and I think I have seen it in a service bulliten. There is a tee fitting on the block that comes from the pump, one leg goes to the filter the other goes to the block input to the lifter galley. Oil to the lifters does not go thru the filter so as to provide adaquit flow and pressure to the lifters.

John

Posted on: 2014/5/28 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

tolandis wrote:
...Any info about the imported lifters? If I am going this far, might just replace all of them...

I have two of the imported lifters in my '50. They have a couple thousand miles on them. So far... so good.

Quote:

snopack wrote:
I believe that your oil filter is plumbed wrong. The inlet to the filter is the outside top fitting and the outlet is the center bottom fitting. Filter elements are made to flow from the outside to the inside.

Packard did use some canisters pre-war that were plumbed with the inlet on the bottom. I agree that it would seem more efficient the other way.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved