Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How many cars sell at auction vs. Ebay vs. Craigslist etc....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Any stats available on how selling shakes out?

I am assuming rarer and/or more expensive cars are more likely to appear at auctions while drivers are more of an Ebay thing.

Anyone?

Been watching all the car auctions on TV, which just blow me away numbers and dollars....

Posted on: 2014/6/28 20:54
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Re: How many cars sell at auction vs. Ebay vs. Craigslist etc....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Not interested or don't know?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 17:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Pat, why don't you do a little research on your question and report back to us on the results. Your question is an interesting one and it would a benefit us to know what you find out. Then, we could add to what you get. Just a suggestion...

(o{]o)

Posted on: 2014/6/30 21:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I've been looking at this for some time. Problem for me is that all I have found is either anecdotal or one sided. Can't seem to find comparative numbers.

What I find are people who believe one method or another is best, primarily because it worked for them 11 years ago (or some similar reason).

Somewhat puzzled as to where to go next.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 23:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
And I immediately tripped over this article which I had not turned in previous searches....

Quote:
How 2013 became the biggest year ever for collector cars Robert Frank | @robtfrank Monday, 9 Dec 2013 | 11:46 AM ET 468 SHARES 12 COMMENTSJoin the Discussion Wealthy car collectors spent like never before in 2013. Auction sales of collectible cars in the U.S. are set to top $1.2 billion this year, an all-time record that's up 25 percent from 2012, according to Hagerty Insurance, the largest insurer of collectible cars. The 2013 total is nearly double the pre-financial crisis level for car auction sales. While the number of cars sold ticked up 10 percent, to more than 19,500, the average price per car sold jumped 13 percent to $61,000 from $54,000. This 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S NART Spyder sold for $27.5 million in August. Source: RM Auctions This 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S NART Spyder sold for $27.5 million in August. The average price, however, masks the huge spike at the top end of the collector car market, where vintage Ferraris, Mercedes and Porsches are regularly fetching eight figures. Four of the top five most expensive collector cars ever sold at auction were sold in 2013. Hagerty's Ferrari index, which features more than a dozen of the most sought-after Ferraris, soaring 18 percent, making Ferraris by far the most expensive category. But German cars are quickly catching up, with Hagerty's German car index-- which includes Porsche, Mercedes and BMW--soaring 33 percent in 2013. McKeel Hagerty, president and chief executive of Hagerty, said that despite the huge price run-ups, he sees few signs of a bubble in collector cars. "Supply and demand are still driving prices," he said. "You have more millionaires being created, and a small number of these top-quality cars. It's also generational. The people who made large wealth are at a point in their lives when they want to collect these cars." He said unlike other bubble periods--like the early 1990s, which was fueled by Japanese buyers--this market is far more diversified and global. Still, Hagerty said, this year was such a big year for cars that "I wouldn't be surprised" if prices cooled a little next year. The big news in 2013 was the race between a 1967 Ferrari and a 1954 Mercedes-Benz W196R to become the most expensive car ever sold at auction. The Ferrari was expected to win the prize at an RM Auctions sale in Monterey, Calif., this summer. But just weeks before the sale, the Mercedes race car sold at a Bonhams auction for an unexpectedly high $29.7 million. The Ferrari ended up selling just short of that number, for $27.5 million. While collectible car experts say there are plenty of cars that have sold in private, nonauction sales for more than $30 million, those sales are difficult to verify. Car sale for $100 million? Hagerty said there will likely be a sale of a car for $100 million or more in the next three to five years. While there are several cars currently for sale at $100 million or more, none have traded for that amount yet. "In the next three to five years, we will see a $100 million car," Hagerty said. He added the $100 million sale would likely be a Ferrari GTO--"the holy grail of cars," since only 39 were built.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 23:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
NOT INTERESTED___WHO CARES!

Posted on: 2014/7/1 7:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Pat, I think you are mostly right about the most expensive cars selling at auction, and the cheaper ones on ebay. ebay has a massive audience but somehow I don't think the top end buyers are too bothered looking at ebay. They'll get the auction house to keep them informed / mail them an expensive, glossy catalogue when auctions are planned. Makes them feel more important. They don't have to shop with the common people. The attitude of many very rich I believe is to be aloof and 'above' ebay buying. But a poverty-stricken person like me will be keenly looking for a bargain in the lower price bracket, and I'm not too posh to tell my friends that 'I got it off ebay'.

Personally I don't feel as inclined to buy cars off ebay. Most anything else I have bought from ebay, but have always bought cars (- and caravans / trailers etc) via online ads like Trading Post.

Reasons? Just my own opinion but I think ebay auctions of cars have two problems: 1)Buyer is not really as face-to-face so you don't enter into meaningful discussion with the seller easily. Somehow, to me ebay seems less personal and more restrictive. 2) There are a load of people ready to outbid you, and often you don't even know the reserve price. Kinda feels like I am starting off with a hindrance. I reckon you need to have the 'bidder mentality' which I don't have. But I do have the 'bargainer mentality' and will usually try and talk a seller down a hundred bucks or so. Horse trading is very satisfying but seems to me that ebay doesn't have the same feel to it.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 8:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
What little I've seen of the TV auctions is absurd. If you can see faults in a car on TV then that car is junk.

I follow cars that have been for sale for years and don't sell. Some are decent and some are junk.

If I wasn't so darn busy and always moving around the world I would buy one. The Henry Ford Museum told me they have no intentions of displaying the 29 Speedster anytime soon. I'd call them up and try to buy it, but I'm just too darn wrapped up in things.

I don't know what is going to happen to some of these cars in the future because the nation keeps getting poorer. There will always be a few fools who pay more than something is worth and that is what makes a good TV show. So the TV will always look like buying and selling cars is a sure fire get rich quick scheme. It's just another Hollywood fairy tale.

This Ferrari stuff is silly. Any good tuned Jap car would eat one for lunch.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 16:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
NOT INTERESTED___WHO CARES!

Should I then respond by pointing out that I don't care that you don't care?

Nahhh. Why bother?

Posted on: 2014/7/1 17:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved