Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

38 Six Distributor Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello those of you that have been trying to help me with my distributor issue. I discovered that someone has put a 1941 distributor # 1GC4505 which is an Autolite in my 38 6 cyl. engine. Would there be any logic in why someone would do this? I have a 37 distributor # 647 E but I need the correct one for a 38 # 1110203. Not sure if the # 647 would work properly in a 38. Any suggestions on a good source to purchase one. Thank you to all for your help.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 10:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 38 Six Distributor Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...

I use three sources for parts for our Packard, 'Miss Prudence'.

They are Max Merritt Auto, Kanter Automotive, and Packard Seattle Company.

I normally start with Max at 317-736-6233.

Ernie

Posted on: 2014/10/13 10:55
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Of course it's nice to have the correct distributor but I suspect your car should run OK with the substitute. Without checking the specs for each I'd think the only likely difference might be in the centrifugal or vacuum advance curves and that would probably be a very small difference.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I concur. Unless you are shooting for a numbers correct detail, the autolite distributor will work just fine. In fact, the more modern advance, and the fact that the distributor bushings are more readily available, I'd probably stick with the 4505 and call it a day.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you, I really appreciate all of you on this forum, you have been so helpful to me and I sincerely "Thank you". I have learned so much about my Packard thanks to all of you. this is what makes the car hobby so great,so many good people.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Delco distributor in my 37 Six failed a few years ago. I got a distributor that was for an Oldsmobile 6-cylinder from Flackmaster and made one distributor out of the two. It is still working fine.

I agree, if the Auto-Lite is in good working condition, then use it. I prefer Auto-Lite equipment over Delco Remy as I believe they are better engineered and built.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/13 15:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you J.W.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 15:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved