Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: 1956 Caribbean hardtop options on a Four Hundred
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can the VR be turned around so the terminals are on the bottom without drilling any additional holes in the radiator bracket?

No, not without drilling at least one new hole (and probably 3) as the regulator has two mounting holes at one end and just one at the other. Also I rather doubt the harness leads are long enough. Not that you can't leave it without the rubber guard (most have), just don't decide that it's convenient perch to lay a metal wrench or other metallic tool.

Yeah, even a length of heater hose slit open would be functionally equivalent but it's nice to have the "right stuff".

Note the regulator mounts differently than the 1955 models.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 15:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
-----from your description it reads like one could be easily made from either square section or round rubber product.
John, You are so right and one would think there would be basic extrusions available in something close to the correct dimensions all over the place -- but I haven't found them. IIRC, this subject came up once before and I know I looked in several places then.

There are 1" and 3/4 square rubber tubes which would be close in OD but the ID is round with thick walls so inside is comparatively small to the OD. There is a square sided U channel with almost perfect outside and thickness dimensions but no 4th side. Had thought of trying to do something with that by cementing on a couple of small square strips to the open edge. Not sure how well that cement would hold so kind of ruled that out.

Have made silicone molds for my door sills and my version of the prewar AC vent and recently for an actual prewar vent and for postwar outside air vents and the gaskets for those so might try that terminal cover too. Am thinking unless someone has a better source of extrusions it should be possible to cast something with Urethane rubber. A simple shape so probably could be made using square plastic tubing for a pattern and then silicone again for the mold.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 16:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
With my poor english, I can't really picture the part in my mind!

O_D, if I could take your offer to send pics, I would certainly appreciate it.

I guess posting them here would be best as it is several of us talking about it, but if you prefer to email them, my email is: vmilke at nutryplus dot com

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/3/26 19:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think this little sketch may help you visualize it better than a photograph. Material is black rubber, probably extruded.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.04 KB)
177_56f7e9bf99813.jpg 820X833 px

Posted on: 2016/3/27 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Wonderful! Thanks, O_D!

Interesting to see an American using metric system... which of course simplifies things for me a lot!

Thanks again,
victor

Posted on: 2016/3/27 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You are more than welcome, I thought metric would be easier for you, almost 40 years in the chemical industry with plants around the world and it's almost 2nd nature to me.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Victor(56P400),
for including your '56 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 16:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Quite the opposite, thank you all for keeping these great forum which is invaluable help!

Posted on: 2016/3/27 16:08
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Emmanuel
See User information
Hi, where did you find the chassis number on the chassis ?

here in Belgium, they want that the number must be writen on the chassis frame ... but I don't find it.

Thanks for help.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 8:49
1956 Four Hundred - mostly original
1956 Caribbean hardtop project car
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no chassis number. Packard stopped using them sometime in the 20-30s. The only numbers on a 56 will be on the door jamb, the engine, and the embossed number on the firewall above the heater.

In 56 the door jamb vehicle number is the important one and is the number the car was registered under. If it has the original engine the same number will be stamped on the top of the engine block in a flat surfaced area between the oil fill tube and left head. If it is a very late 56 production the engine number may be facing forward on the front edge of the block just below the right head instead of on the top.

The embossed number above the heater was called the body ID number and is often referred to as the theft proof number today. There are almost no factory records to be found saying what body ID number was on a car along with a specific door jamb number.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved