Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 Ground Strap
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello,
My 1937 Packard 115C Sedan ground strap has separated and needs to be replaced. I contacted a vendor about a replacement strap and they said they had woven straps much like a battery cable. My original was steel not woven. Just wanted to see what friends on the forum thought about this.
This is the strap that grounds from the back end of the transmission to the frame. Thank you.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 8:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Ground Strap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd go with the modern flat woven braid in a gauge near to your battery cable size -- at at least as large as the original. Unless it was some sort of formed piece I'm really surprised at the original strap being steel as the material used. Not the greatest or the most flexible of conductors but maybe cost was a factor.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 8:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure just what yours was originally but likely it was a flat, woven strap; it might have been steel (doubtful), more likely it was a tinned copper alloy as pure copper "work-hardens" as it flexes and would be subject to fatique fracture at some point. Brillman would be my first choice for a source, in their catalog they are called "bonding straps" and available in lengths from 5 to 18 inches. They were typically #4 or #6 cable, more than adequate.

www.brillman.com

Posted on: 2015/6/12 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think you are asking about a secondary ground strap. The main ground is from the battery to the frame. The one you are asking about connects the frame and engine. It is usually smaller than the main strap, but a larger size will be better. It would also be good to have a ground strap from the body to the frame. Now would be a good time to install one, if it does not already have one.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/12 9:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here is one from NAPA, readily available and priced right. Other sizes are available. Be sure to clean the paint off the frame first, and use a star washer or lock washer on the bolt/nut.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-Ground-Strap-Tin-Plated-GROTE/_/R-GRO849240_0459879865

Posted on: 2015/6/12 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
We have a good alternator-generator-starter shop here in Austin. They do testing and rebuilding of a wide variety of these units. They also make custom battery cables and straps. Perhaps there is one of these shops near you who can fabricate cables and straps to your needs.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/12 22:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I was told by a Packard vendor that what I call a ground strap is not so, it is there to prevent clutch chatter, that doesn't make sense to me. Now I'm not sure what the intended use is.

Posted on: 2015/6/13 20:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does anything here look like the piece that is broken?

Attach file:

jpg  (35.62 KB)
209_557cdda055ca2.jpg 473X498 px

jpg  (82.03 KB)
209_557cddaa857ed.jpg 625X811 px

Posted on: 2015/6/13 20:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If it is a round rod that runs for and aft, it is a stabilizer rod and is used to prevent clutch chatter by keeping the trans from moving back and forth. The ground strap is a woven cable as noted. Perhaps you'd better post a photo of what you are asking about.

Posted on: 2015/6/13 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you HH 56 for clearing this up, that is exactly the broken part in question, thank you again for your help

Posted on: 2015/6/13 21:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved