Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 62

William Grosz, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40)

Re: Ken
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might be lucky with a bump to the channel in a small area but if the lid cannot get any more pressure on the weatherstrip I would still be a bit concerned about trying to do anything with the channel position. The way the channel is constructed and reinforced with the edge bends, any attempt to raise the metal might also damage the body or crack the paint.

Not much in body maintenance is suggested for prewar cars but postwar the recommendation was to shim the weatherstrip with thin rubber strips in places where the seal was not adequate. I would think that should work on the 37 also since the body construction and weatherstrip is somewhat similar.

Here is an excerpt from the 51-4 manual with their shim suggestions for doors. The same advice for checking and repair leaks is given in the trunk lid section. McMaster has several selections for very thin rubber strips and glass setting tape might also work.

Attach file:

jpg  weatherstrip.jpg (129.17 KB)
209_62a7690b73c4f.jpg 750X382 px

Posted on: 6/13 11:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Ken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Howard, thanks for that information! I did try the paper test, as Don had suggested. There is a portion on the top of the trunk where there is drag, but less than the rest of the weatherstrip.

I will probably try pouring water on the seam, and see if it penetrates the trunk, and then shim the gutter strip.

Posted on: 6/14 7:41
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... p?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... &order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
1941 PACKARD ADVERT
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved