Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Interior Garnish Molding Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I just completed re finishing my 41 160 garnish molding and I wanted to share a few comments with other Packard friends. First of all my molding was painted at one time and the accent strips and the center medallion were painted over, this really bothered me because the accents are beautiful and I could not wait to uncover them. It was suggested to me to use Purple Power to remove the paint without harming the plastic inserts. It worked great. I built a trough out of PVC pipe by cutting the first third off with my table saw and then glueing end caps on afterwards,cutting the pipe on the saw is kind of tricky but it works. I also constructed a rectangular box out of 1x4's and lined the interior with fiberglass mat and resin. I added enough Purple Power to the level above the 1st strip of trim. I then allowed it to soak for about 24 hours, the paint washed off with a soft brush like you would use to scrub you Hands. After removing the fuzzies and the wilting I had to remove the accent strips and the center medallion. I was reluctant to do this because I wasn't sure of the 96 or so tabs would bend back in place during re-assembly without breaking off. This had to be done to re- grain the metal properly. I'm happy and relieved that of all of the tabs only 1 broke, thankfully it was not in a crucial area like at the ends.With the suggestion of a forum member he suggested that I contact Restoration Supplies for new fuzzies. I am very pleased with them and they bend easily to contour to the radius of the moldings. All of the plastic inserts, 12 in all were in good shape with the exception of 2. I have replaced those two but they are lighter and I'm trying to find a way to turn them darker, the ivory darkens after so many years so I'm trying to match 1941 as close as possible. I really don't want to paint so if anyone has an idea how to darken these I would welcome your input. Many "thanks" for all on this forum who gave their input regarding this project. The helpfulness of Packard people on this forum is spectacular and so much appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 22:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Interior Garnish Molding Update
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not familiar with what you are trying to darken but I've had good luck with transparent glass stains on many items. They color but let the original finish or pattern show thru and doesn't look like parts are painted.

Here is a photo of a 56 anodized dash that had been very sun faded to almost silver. I airbrushed a light coat of dilute amber to recolor so it looked consistent like the original gold color that was hidden under some of the covered areas.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.29 KB)
209_55fe2afa5a5f8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/9/19 22:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I have attached a photo of the plastic piece that I'm trying to figure a way to match to the darker color. Would rather now paint it if possible.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.52 KB)
58975_55ff4eaabdc0e.jpg 1280X429 px

Posted on: 2015/9/20 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think you need to bite the bullet and use epoxy paint. Or buy a new one from Jerry at Yesterday's Radio.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm not sure what type of plastic it is. If you had a small piece or section that you test with you could try soaking in strong coffee or tea.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 1:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved