Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 185

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing valve rockers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Hi All --- I've got a '38 Super 8. I adjusted the valves the best I could ( you know that's a hard job with side mounts) but there's still a ticking sound which could be a valve that I didn't do right or it could be coming from the rockers or "cam followers".

I had a '26 Packard 8 at one time and remember that some of those rockers loosened on their supports. I'm wondering if that might be the case here, but here's the question:

Can I remove that rocker assembly without lifting the cylinder block? Or rather, can I put it back in place when some of the cam lobes are in the "up" position? Would I need to compress valve springs or do something gymnastic to get that back in?

The clicking noise doesn't effect running of the car, but I'd like to figure out where it's coming from.
--Scott

Posted on: 2015/10/23 13:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing valve rockers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Scott

Beginning in 1932 Packard started using cast rather than stamped rocker followers. So a unit with broken welds is not a possibility on a 38.

If valve clearance is the cause, inserting a .001 feeler gauge while running should make the offending noise go away.
But be careful because it may not be a clearance problem. Worn guides and sticky valves will also cause such noises. As well worn tappets have recesses so accurate adjustment with a feeler gauge is not possible.

I would do a compression test on the motor when warm and then retest after any noise reducing adjustments. If the compression has been reduced the clearance is insufficient.

As well, a worn piston on Packards will also make a ticking sound.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2015/10/23 15:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing valve rockers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Motiv8
See User information
Adding to Tim Coles excellent reply,
I've found excessive clearance in the lifter guides also adds to that noise. I make my own. The clearance in them depends on if you want to drive 45MPH or 100 MPH. The complication of Packard's valve train was to limit valve guide side loading. Today's alloys and cam profiles can eliminate that. There's a lot of parts in that valve train. It's rare to hear a quiet one.David

Posted on: 2015/10/29 13:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved