Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Super 8 conecting rods identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The following Federal Mogul chart of insert bearings for 320 and 385 Packard engines was just forwarded to me by Fred Kanter. In the upper 2 sets of data the first numeric column is bearing diameter, the 2nd is shell thickness. In the bottom set of data notice the 385 engine has, as noted previously, wider rod bearings (overall width & distance between flanges) than the 320 and thus a wider (and hence heavier) big end of the rod. This is contrary to your comment that both cranks have the same crankpin lengths but I think you are in error about that and suggest you remeasure, it's pretty hard to argue with the OEM provider of the bearings.

My thanks to Fred Kanter who seems always willing to spend the time digging into their archives for help. I hope this answers the question.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.82 KB)
177_567b048770fa1.jpg 1280X839 px

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There is still no mention of what year the engine is.

The information I have is from the Packard Company and specifies what rods are used in which engines.

For example, it states that a 626-633 rod weighs 37 1/2 ounces, while a 640-645 rod weighs 46 ounces. I think that pretty much resolves that issue.

As well, the documents also discuss conversion to insert bearing rods and so there is a good likelihood the numbers are valid through 1936 for Super Eight.

However, if the engine is a pre-1929 eight the situation is different because the bore and stroke for the six was the same as the eight.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 6:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dean
See User information
Thanks, My rods must be Standard 8 they weigh 39 oz. I need to look for some Super 8 rods. Sorry, I originally measured the crank with a metal scale. The Standard 8 crank journal measures .025 inch shorter journal than my Super 8. The second time I used a digital veneer caliper. Thanks Again for the good Info.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 19:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved