Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 Back up light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
My backup light on my 41 is not operable. I'm assuming the switch may be bad. If I'm not mistaken it is located near the steering column area in the engine compartment, is this correct ? Thank you

Posted on: 2016/1/4 17:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 41 Back up light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming the wiring is intact and live there's a better chance that it's the bulb and not the switch.

Posted on: 2016/1/4 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Yes the switch is on steering column. Plunger type that is depressed by upper shifting arm as it comes up to engage reverse. Use a test light with the head lights on to see if you have power to both sides of switch with the plunger depressed-one side means bad switch. next remove bulb and use test light on center contact-no power-bad wires. strikers are not painted,or at least the top lock is not. I chromed the lower on my 42 convertible as it was chromed before I restored the the car. Dell

Posted on: 2016/1/4 19:44

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the 41 uses the same bracket and switch as 47 so your assy should look something like this at the end of the steering column. If the car only has backup lites the switch will be a rectangular box with 2 terminals. If it has OD and the R9 safety switch was retrofitted switch will have 4 terminals and the two distant from the plunger will be the reverse lights.

The switch and bracket is adjustable so make sure the plunger is centered over the reverse lever and fully pushed in when car is in reverse.

Backup lites can be wired in several ways so also verify any fuses are good.

One method has the feed coming off one of the aux fuses on headlight switch. Backup light will work anytime with this arrangement and could result in a drained battery if the car is left parked in reverse.

Another way is to have the backup lights coming off the tail light feed typically at terminal on end of instrument or panel lamp switch. Some have also reported the feed was taken directly from tail light terminal at headlight switch. This is not good because that point is not fused adequately. The end of instrument or panel light switch should be the fused point for tail lights. Either place requires the tail lights to be on before backup lites work.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.61 KB)
209_568b160885387.jpg 1280X725 px

Posted on: 2016/1/4 20:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I didn't realize that the lights had to be on for the backup light to be functional, thanks for the info

Posted on: 2016/1/4 20:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved