Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correct Trunk Script for 1955 Four Hundred
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I have a 1955 Four Hundred coupe that I'm currently using as my driver while I work on rebuilding my 1955 Patrician. A prior owner of the Four Hundred had it repainted a while ago and removed all of the script from the car except the "Packard" on the rear fenders and on the hood. I'm trying to replace all of the missing script and have everything but the "Packard" script for the trunk. I have the "400" script.

My problem is that I am having considerable difficulty locating a decent example of the gold "Packard" script for the trunk. I bid on a set on eBay about a year ago but lost that auction. Since that time, I have not seen another gold "Packard" script on eBay nor have I been able to locate it from another source, Tuscon Packards included. I even had one supplier tell me that they were never made in gold, only in chrome. I know for a fact that this is a bunch of crap since every photo I've seen of restored 1955 400s has the script on the trunk in gold.

The Packard part number is 444213. I know that this particular piece of script was used on earlier Packards in its chrome form, but on the 1955 Four Hundred, I am positive that it was in gold to match the "400" number.

Am I correct on my assumption that the 1955 Four Hundred "Packard" script was gold in color to match the "400" number or am I chasing my tail on this point?

I've attached a photo of the trunk lid script about which I am speaking. As I said, I have obtained the "400" script, but not the gold "Packard" script.

While this is not a priority right now, it is annoying to have allegedly reputable sources tell me that they never existed in gold.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.15 KB)
3929_56a2409cbb725.jpg 800X800 px

Posted on: 2016/1/22 9:47
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: Correct Trunk Script for 1955 Four Hundred
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
You are correct. The 1955 used the 444213 casting but it was gold color. You are better off buying a new chrome one and sending it off to get plated gold color. Much better then sending off a used piece.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 10:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And as has been mentioned before the NOS gold is not a deep brilliant gold color but more a light yellowish color. I know I was very surprised after having my emblems replated in real gold and then comparing side by side with an NOS piece. I forget the original karat but someone here will know. Just something to be aware of if you are having something plated and plan on using it next to something NOS or existing. You may want to get them all done at once -- or at least the ones that will be very close together all done at once.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 10:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
My next question is does anyone know of a good reputable firm that does gold anodizing. I've been searching around the eastern PA and NJ area for one and can't seem to locate one that does auto parts.

Also, is everyone aware of the problems with Nu-Chrome up in Massachusetts? Shut down I believe for bad business practices and owing a load of back taxes.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 11:16
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When you say anodizing I assume you're considering gold colorizing of an aluminum piece? For steel and zinc-based allows such as die-cast the process would be electroplating. There is an "electroless gold" process but it's just a chemical wash and doesn't have much durability. Any of the major chrome plating shops that advertise regularly in Hemmings and elsewhere typically can do chrome, gold, and anodizing of aluminum; Frankford Plating (2505 Orthodox Street) in Phila is still I believe a premier plating shop though I haven't used them in a few years, D&E in Ohio, Pauls, and the list goes on and on. Though it's generally more expensive and you're low on the priority list, in part for peace of mind I prefer to have my plating done by the shops that service the major premier restoration shops. If you're friendly with someone who owns such a shop, perhaps you can get them to gang your work with theirs and get both fast turnaround and a bit of a price break.

Yes, Nu-Chrome had been in a long slow decline & in the dumps quality-wise for a long time even before their problems became commonly known. I have a friend that prepaid for a batch of chrome and received neither his parts back undone, nor his $ - and that story goes back a year or more.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Pauls chrome seem to have a reputation for quality.
As with any company you are sending parts to- phone calls asking of lead time and pricepoint are a must. I believe some shops will take picture inventory over the net and estimate. This is a welcome process as you will want to send multiple pieces to combine on shipping costs and a complete photo documentation on your end will help ensure you get all pieces back.
Were these pieces true gold plate or anodized from the factory? Was there another process used back then for trim, emblems and plastic? Were some pieces vapor deposited?
Anyone know if the process used on the gold for the 55 clipper frt marker lamps was supposed to be translucent?

Posted on: 2016/1/22 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I understand that the white metal pieces were plated rather than anodized. I don't think that Packard used any aluminum script or trim pieces in '55 or '56. All of the ones that I've encountered are white metal/pot metal.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 21:29
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Ok . Thanks. I was wondering if anyone has attempted brush plating at home. If these parts were orig gold plated and in good shape this could be replicated. Saw the process online and the video of the golf ball being gold plated.
I am also interested in the gold finish on the 55 fr marker lenses. The "v" was gold and the upper outer rim silver. There is interestingly only clear plastic in the separation wall and i was wondering if Packard intended this "v" to be illuminated with the park lights on? These processes oonline are on the outside of the surface and are opaque . Anyone renewed the gold surface on the inside of the "v" on these ? Does it allow light through?

Posted on: 2016/1/23 8:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved