Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 153

Packard Don, todd landis, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

about glass?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
For the last few days I have been puttering around with my 1952 200.
I noticed the passenger vent wing window has a long crack.

And about 2 years ago when I parked the car after a drive I rolled the drivers door window up and it had a new crack.

Is it normal for this old glass to start cracking?
I thought maybe the door glass cracked because someone was looking at the car and slammed the door......
(I try never to close the door hard with the window down)
these cracks just appeared...

thanks for your advice,tim

Posted on: 2016/3/20 15:05
 Top  Print 

Re: about glass?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Vent wings usually crack from too many openings and closing with less than gentle pressure on the glass and not the frame. With door glass it's normally something loose within the door or channel that allows the glass to move sideways and hit something when the door is shut. Glass doesn't particularly get more brittle with age though the inner plastic layer of the laminate can begin to degrade, sometimes even within a few years.

Posted on: 2016/3/20 15:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the felt in the window channels has deteriorated or worn away it could be letting the glass vibrate or scrape against a rivet head. That could nick or scratch the glass edge and make it susceptible to cracking at that spot. Also on some models there was a weld on the lower screw mount for the channels that could rust thru and separate allowing the window to move or twist. If the door was closed hard when window was down the glass could also strike a portion of the regulator and crack.

Posted on: 2016/3/20 15:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rivet head in the channel. I discovered that when I replace my window channel and the rivet head was not flush enough.

Posted on: 2016/3/20 22:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for theinfo.
I did not know about the rivet head. and yes, the felt etc is worn low on my car. it is good to be aware , now I can be more careful.

Posted on: 2016/3/21 15:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Glass breaks by a variety of mechanisms. We know, the edge is "weaker" than the face and usually propagates the crack. So protecting the edges is key to prolonged life in flat glass. Sometimes in laminated only one face will actually be cracked but will look cracked through by reflection.
I've seen glass get more prone to breakage with age not just auto glass. But there's no "shelf life". It's just the accumulation of normal stresses and microcracks over time that then only need a small force to propagate a crack. Like in a windshield. It takes hits from stones, bugs, etc. all the time, but takes one more or put cold water on it sitting in the sun and this giant crack appears and grows worse as the day heats.
The glass has no defined crystal structure, but stores stresses, so it's kinda like unzipping a zipper. The crack front runs along the microcracks and separates the molecules. Sometimes, you'll see the crack change course, around an old wound.
You can use the acrylic "glue" windshield repair they sell for repairing. You have to force it in under vacuum/pressure to get completely transparent, but it will prevent it from further breaking even if it's not completely filled. If you get to them quickly, you can save the window.
If the laminate is getting discolored/separated around the edges, there's not much you can do except replace. The glass edges are now exposed for cracking as the film is actually weathering/deteriorating.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 20:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Replacing the door glass is pretty simple and not expensive. Here in Billings I can get a new laminated glass window for $35 to 40, and an hours labor to install. If you are fairly handy, it is not difficult to do. The 51-54 shop manual has directions. The toughest part is getting your hands inside the door, but at least Packard was kind enough to provide two large access panels in the door.

Often the problem causing the cracking is the worn out "mouse fur" inside the vertical guides. These get worn out and allow the glass to rattle around, causing stress. Most auto glass shops have replacement stock on hand, or it is available on line. This is something that you should have replaced when you replace the glass.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 10:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
some more great advice.
for the door window glass a local shop said he could do it for about $100.00. I am sure I can do the job myself. The price quoted me is high compared to montana. oh well. when I get down to it i'll make more calls.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 14:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved