Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

Gary Kulp, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 160 gas tank float assembly
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Since acquiring our 160 8 years ago, the tank leaks when it is completely filled. Makes touring difficult. Suspected leaking from the float assembly. Removed and it is leaking from the threads of the screws attaching the assembly to the top of the tank. Someone cross threaded them. Upon removing the float, I discovered it is different from those I have dealt with before in that the pick up tube is part of that assembly. Furthermore, it was literally sitting on the bottom of the tank where it could pick up any trash etc. We discovered a crack in that tube as well. It looks as though someone used JB weld on it before. Was this the correct unit for a 40 senior? Should I try to fix it or look for the correct float unit.Thanks, Tommy Baccaro

Posted on: 2016/8/6 17:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 160 gas tank float assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It looks like there may have been several different senders used in 1940. MK lifestyle makes new senders and also repairs originals. There are some photos of the various types on their site which may help you figure out if yours is correct.http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/Packard_Fuel_Sender_0YW2.html

Posted on: 2016/8/6 21:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks, Howard. It appears that all 3 units shown had the filler tube as part of the float assembly so I may have the correct one. The company has the Stewart /Warner unit available but it always worries me when they say call for pricing. Maybe I can get them to repair my old one. These units were for sure different from the only other I ever dealt with which was in my '47.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 8:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
recommend you also check MaxMerritt - Fred has now sourced NEW fuel tank senders.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 8:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks, once I realized the unit was the correct one, I was able to have the pick up tube repaired. A friend had a friend at a radiator shop who was able to fabricate a new pick up tube onto the unit. With the source of the leak fixed in the mount and a tube without a split, it should all work now. Tommy

Posted on: 2016/8/9 9:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved