Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 83

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Electronic Ignition Conversions (General discussion)
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just exactly WHAT is the REASON(s) that ANYONE would decide to convert to e-Ignition.?????

This is assuming that we are dealing with cars that were ORIGINALY designed with battery and ignition points and coil.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 6:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Electronic Ignition Conversions (General discussion)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
1. The quality and availability of points/condensor is declining/variable.

2. With the rear position of the distributor, replacing points and then adjusting dwell and timing has always been a difficult task.

3. Some EI provide a hotter spark, especially at cranking.

At present, I'm running a Pertronix on one engine and a Mopar solid state conversion on another. The Pertronix is less expensive, but I do believe the Mopar is better and more reliable.

FWIW, I've been rebuilding both the Autolite and Delco distributors and converting them to the Mopar trigger. They come with new bushings, vacuum advance, trigger, rotor and cap. However, at $300, they're not selling quickly, so when the last couple are gone, I won't do any more.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/11/2 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
True, distributors converted from points and condenser to electronic components do require much less maintenance. They are almost maintenance free except one must keep in mind that caps and rotors are still subject to the same wear and need to be replaced from time to time. Don't forget to add a couple of drops of oil when doing regular service.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/11/2 12:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
one must keep in mind that caps and rotors are still subject to the same wear and need to be replaced from time to time.

Good recommendation, but I'd add spark plugs and wires.

These days, when anyone asks for help on an engine tuning problem, I refuse to touch it until it has all-new ignition components - points, condensor, rotor, cap, wires and plugs.

One owner got indignant about the cost, saying, "I just replaced those not long ago." but I didn't see new parts. When pressed for the date, he finally admitted they were more than ten years old. "Guess I didn't realize how much time had passed."

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/11/2 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ah, you lucky guys who can actually find and be able to purchase a new distributor cap and rotor for a reasonable price. Go out and buy spares NOW, they won't be around forever, ditto for points.

Try to source a cap and rotor for a 1933/34 Eight or Super Eight! If you're really lucky you might find a good used but serviceable cap for $500 and probably more, maybe half that for a used but serviceable rotor. These caps and rotors were reproduced maybe 25-30 years ago, all long since sold out and the tooling apparently lost or destroyed. I see the Twelve cap and rotor is currently in reproduction for about $1000, but nothing that I'm aware of even on the horizon for 33/34 Eights and Super Eights.

At least for the NorthEast points, which when you can find them are maybe $400 a set (two sets required), there is a conversion kit available. New coils are available as a reproduction item, about $400 for the pair as I recall.

All that makes keeping these cars on the road regularly for reliable touring etc. more and more of a challenge. That I continue to be able to do so is only because I began to hoard these parts decades ago when they were beginning to get scarce. So while reasonable availability and prices prevail, don't procrastinate - stock up while you can.

Posted on: 2016/11/2 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I run an electronic ignition in my 4cyl porsche. It is programable with a laptop, so I can change the curve very easily. You can do things like 0 deg advance below 500 rpm for easy starting, then have advance say 10 deg from 500 rpm and ramping *down* to the normal idle and then above idle your normal advance curve. This trick of increasing advance when you go below target idle speed helps stabilize a low or cold idle. This helps the porsche since it has no choke.
What else? Rev limiter if needed, not much use in a packard though. The better electronic ignitions control coil charging by time and not just angle. This allows you to run a hotter lower resistance coil.
In some cases, electronic distributors may be cheaper than good oem parts (porsche world this is a problem)
Some electronic ignition systems also incorporate data acquisition if you are tuning or doing dyno runs.
That being said, points and condensers do work pretty well.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 13:30
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"programmable with a lap top".
Well, ok then, why have an ECM for the e-ignition at all??? Why not just let the Lap Top act as the ECM??

Consider an ECM failure. Then what do u use as a back-up???? Why not use the Lap Top as a back up????

CONSIDER an ECM going bad 200 miles from home while traveling thru a desolate area. Then use the Lap Top as a back up??? Or do u carry a spare ECM???

BOTTOM LINE: what is the price of the ECM and double that to carry as a spare. OR, scrap the ECM completely and just run from a lap top.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 16:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Mr Vines, in tuning up my car, to make it as reliable as possible, I just did what you suggested.When I returned to pick up the car, the mechanic said, "you know those new parts aren't near as good as the original ones I took out."
Duh! why did you ask me to replace them then? Sure enough, the new capacitor went out after only 75 miles. I just barely made it back from a country drive to my house. Luckily I got another mechanic to come look at it at the house and he fixed it with a part that says made in USA. My shop is 35 miles away which would have required a $165.00 towing fee. Maybe I should leave well enough alone if the car is running ok.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 18:50
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Mr Vines, in tuning up my car, to make it as reliable as possible, I just did what you suggested.When I returned to pick up the car, the mechanic said, "you know those new parts aren't near as good as the original ones I took out."
Duh! why did you ask me to replace them then? Sure enough, the new capacitor went out after only 75 miles. I just barely made it back from a country drive to my house. Luckily I got another mechanic to come look at it at the house and he fixed it with a part that says made in USA. My shop is 35 miles away which would have required a $165.00 towing fee. Maybe I should leave well enough alone if the car is running ok.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 18:50
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

I thought gm used the same cap points. Pontiac..buick.

56 cad?..

Posted on: 2016/11/19 3:09
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved