Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Compatible replacement solenoids for 1955 self-leveling system
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I'm looking to replace the two solenoids in my 1955 Patrician's self-leveling system and I'm having difficulty finding new solenoids that are compatible to the original ones on my Packard. Going through the parts book, I believe the solenoid part number is 455944, and I've been unable in my internet search to find any compatible ones. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/1/1 23:48
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: Compatible replacement solenoids for 1955 self-leveling system
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The solenoid needs a ground provided by the control switch to operate and I believe these Cole Hersee solenoids will make a matching set. The 24046 is proven to work and is what many have used. I didn't check part numbers to see if both solenoids are the same in 55-6. IIRC, someone said they had trouble mounting the second solenoid and a mirror image would work better for the 55 bracket spacing so the ends would point differently. If you need a mirror, the 24060 is the complementary orientation. I do not know which one duplicates the terminal orientation of the 455944 number.

They are available from ElecDirecthttp://www.elecdirect.com but may be available and possibly cheaper from some ebay vendors.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.63 KB)
209_5869e0fe967c4.jpg 860X1300 px

Posted on: 2017/1/2 0:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
See my 55 blog. I believe all you need to know is on there.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 1:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim: I'm sure you meant 445944, not 455944. Yes, the '56 solenoids carry a different part number though I no longer remember what's different about them, Ross & others will know.

Henry, I wanted to go to your blog to see your comments about the solenoids, but its 195 pages that I'd have to go thru; can you narrow it down to a post# or page where that part begins?

Posted on: 2017/1/2 11:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2017/1/2 14:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I (or maybe I should say Howard and I) covered this issue in great detail on my blog around page 38 and 39.

I bought the wrong solenoids the first time but we figured it out. I know the right part numbers are in there.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 14:50
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved