Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 172

BigKev, Jimmyk, Paul E. Gallagher, AJS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1955 Clipper custom with 2 four barrel engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen, I did contact the museum on my 400 but they had no info on my serial number to supply a printout. They do have a lot of info though.

Posted on: 2008/1/30 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I'd say Studebaker and Packard dealers would install anything a buyer wanted. There were several '56 Golden Hawks and at least one Clipper raced with the 374" Caribbean engines. No one has ever produced documentation I've seen that the factory shipped any Clippers, or anything other than Caribbeans with the 2-4bbl engines.

The late Steve Williams had a Caribbean with a standard-shift transmission which he knew to have been installed by the SF Packard dealer. By the time it is sold twice, the next time it'll probably be listed as "one-of-a-kind-special-ordered-custom-from-the-factory."

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/2/1 18:45
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

440PACSLER
See User information
My 55 400 # 7100 had the following 56 parts on it: Trunk lid w/lock catch, rear window w/wide roof trim & weld in filler panels for the glass, wide drip rail on roof w/ welded on mount,rear end & front brake drums,1/4 trim with SQUARE retainer holes,rear bumper,tail lights. I have another 5587 & 5582 with the 56 1/4 trim. Explain that.
Minnesnowda Mike

Posted on: 2008/2/1 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
how do i contact the museum....can you list the number for others to see as well. who do i talk to and what does it cost. thanks.

Posted on: 2008/2/2 14:03
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Sniff around the museum's website:

www.studebakermuseum.org

They have an online ordering system for Studebaker production orders, but I think you'll have to inquire by e-mail for Packard. IIRC, they only had them for 1956 Packard and Clippers, except Caribbean.

Posted on: 2008/2/2 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
440pacsler wrote: "My 55 400 # 7100 had the following 56 parts on it:..."

Are u sure it's not a 56 with 55 front sheet metal and engine???? Does it have the 56 frame or the 55 frame???? It is my understanding that hte 56 frame had some kind of extra reinforcements at the rear TL rocker arms.

Posted on: 2008/2/2 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
At the risk of getting even further off-topic here, the legend is Packard knew they were history and were using up whatever parts were on hand instead of ordering more. Didn't we hear the '56 Executive supposedly came about because they had more senior series front sheet metal than Clipper.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/2/3 23:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I could see where the factory might use left over '55 Parts on '56 units. But wouldnt the '55 production run be over before they started on the '56 run? So I am not understanding how they would use '56 parts on the '55 production run from the factory.

If could see that in a replacement or repair situation if '55 parts were in short supply a dealer may try to use on hand '56 parts as replacements.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 10:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hi, I have a 55 400 on which the 'Reynolds wrap' side trim extends all the way to the rear of the car as on a 56 model. This can be seen in the owner registry. I suspect this would have been added at a later date maybe when the original owner saw the 56 models. Does anyone else have any experience of this trim on a 55 model..? My car is definitely a 55 from the VIN, I also have the original owners identification card showing delivery date of Oct 22 1955 and the A.O.Smith numbering is still visible on the chassis/frame showing a date of 5-23-55. I can post pictures of these if anyone is interested.

PackarddaveUK

Posted on: 2008/2/4 13:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Dave -

I once owned a '55 Patrician that had the additional -56 trim added to the rear doors and fenders (back to the taillights). It appeared to use stock fasteners, but (IRCC) the holes in the body sheet metal were round (as would be if drilled) rather than square (as would be if factory die-punched). The fit to the gas filler door was sloppy as they did trim the door as was done by the factory for the '56 Seniors. Also, who ever added this trim did not include the '56 pieces that run across the rear-end, just below the trunk opening.

I can imagine that it was not uncommon for a '55 owner to have their car updated; it's not terribly hard to accomplish - save for a special fastener that was used just above the wheel opening on 2-door bodies.

While legend has it Packard could be coerced to do just about anything to make a sale, there were quite a bit of post-production modifications done by dealers and owners back then.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 15:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved