Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Series 23 Deluxe steering wheel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Does anyone know what the optional Deluxe steering wheel looks like that was offered as an option in a Series 23 sedan? The steering wheel in my 1950 Deluxe 8 touring sedan is a bit shabby and cracked and I want a restored one. My Packard is restored and the steering wheel is the worst part of the interior now. I saw a really pretty steering wheel on a Packard at the AACA show last weekend but the owner did not know what was the optional "Deluxe" steering wheel. The one at the show was ivory color, matching the ivory knobs in the interior.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 10:04
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Series 23 Deluxe steering wheel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears the deluxe wheel was the same from 48-53. I believe the difference is the stock wheel is hard rubber and painted in a glossy dark brown or black depending on year. It has minimal chrome embellishments. The deluxe wheel rim is a beige/ivory translucent plastic matching the knobs and has the chrome caps or handpieces on the arms. Horn button or emblem varied by year but I believe the horn ring stayed the same for all.

I believe, but won't swear to it, a beige was more the 48-50 choice since the underdash knobs were also a beige color. The 47 deluxe K wheel is a perfect match to it's beige knobs and the beige used on plastic pieces that Yesterday's Radio used to make. There are a couple of choices for convertible knobs so possibly a lighter ivory color was available for 48-50 years too. Am reasonably sure a light ivory wheel was predominately 51-3 when chrome knobs were used on the dash. There is a photo of what appears to be a darker beige wheel (last photo) at one of the steering wheel restoration places but interestingly, it has a later year emblem.http://qualityrestorations.com/packard/ Could be the photo or a bad color from the restorer but looks like it would match the 48-50 knobs.

Here are a couple of illustrations out of the 48 accessory booklet. Granted they are only artists renditions so colors may not be accurate but there does seem to be a slight color difference.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.64 KB)
209_58e117888c33f.jpg 1300X382 px

jpg  (60.95 KB)
209_58e117985eba4.jpg 808X684 px

jpg  (50.99 KB)
209_58e117a8375bd.jpg 450X678 px

Posted on: 2017/4/2 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Here is what I believe is a '48 restored deluxe steering wheel. A receipt I got with the purchase of the car indicates that JB Donaldson (Phoenix AZ) did the restoration. The bill is dated 11Apr00, with a cost around $500, since that's 17 years ago I suspect at bit of cost escalation should be expected.

I have other views, with file sizes that would be a challenge to post . . . I can PM those.

dp

Attach file:

jpg  (169.93 KB)
34287_58e12e61a8592.jpg 1769X995 px

Posted on: 2017/4/2 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
If you can get a wheel done by JB Donaldson, then go for it.

They did a perfect color match for my 1941 160 convertible sedan and an ivory-colored wheel for a friend that had a 1938 Super 8 convertible coupe. And when I say "ivory" I mean it looked like real ivory - warm, creamy and somewhat translucent looking. It was not beige or tan.

Hope you find one.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 12:20
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The bill is dated 11Apr00, with a cost around $500, since that's 17 years ago I suspect at bit of cost escalation should be expected.

IIRC, a poster had one quoted a couple of years ago and it was at least twice if not more and that was only the wheel. Chrome work if needed would have been extra.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 12:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
A simple cost increase of about 4.1 % per year accounts for a doubling of the price over 17 years, so Fred should be prepared for a quote of $1000, or so, for the restoration of a deluxe steering wheel. The wear on my chrome spoke 'cuffs' suggests that the chrome was NOT restored in 2000.
The car has been 'headquartered' in Phoenix for the last 43 years ( could be more but the history I have is vague before '74 ). Since the restoration in 2000 the car has been driven about 35K miles and has been on 'cross-country' rallies several times. Donaldson's work is 'holding-up' quite well considering the Arizona environment, where rusting is a concept, and plastic degradation is inevitable.

Fred, please keep us 'up to speed' on the cost estimates you might receive.

dp

Posted on: 2017/4/2 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Going back a few years now, but I think the roster guy told me the wheel color varied with the trim code. There were a limited few colors.
There's a trim page in the parts book or one of the other 23 series books on this site. Or look up in steering wheels in the parts list. It'll say by model number. {I've seen it or have it, but don't recall off hand. I found my interior info there.}
I'm pretty sure they all had the same ivory knobs/escutcheons. I talked to John Kepich trying to get some NOS, he told me that.
My '49 23 series (2365) is a deluxe and has a real dark brown wheel and the chrome wing patches w/ blue, grey, & ivory interior. Center is the same as shown above - silver background w/ crest colors. Centers are a different color on the '48(22) -'49s. I searched for them. You can back paint them and they come out nice, if the acrylic isn't crazed. I found a matching silver auto paint. The rubber donut bleeds through over the years.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 18:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved