Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Engine very sticky
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Could it be the bearings?

I've been able to piece together a bit of history on the engine from the owner's somewhat hazy memories, told to me when I bought the car.

Apparently, new babbitt bearings were made by a jeweler back in the '80s. It is unclear whether the engine was ever run after they were installed. The car was at the same time largely disassembled for painting, so it is quite possible it was not. Soon thereafter, the owner got a job overseas and the car was stored (in pieces) for 20 years.

It is possible and maybe probable that the mechanic who got the car running three or four years ago was the first person to start the engine after the new bearings were installed. He had dropped the pan to inspect before he started the car and, when I talked to him, told me personally how surprised he was that it was clean as a whistle inside. He didn't do anything to the engine other than put oil in the sump and antifreeze solution in the radiator. He then drove the car from his garage to the owner's home. The engine was not started again thereafter.

I was reading on a Model T forum that if new babbitt bearings are over-tightened they can burn. Also, that they should be pre-lubed before the engine is run or they could burn. How the bearings were installed is unknown.

This all suggests there is the possibility that some or all of the bearings are burned. I don't have much experience in this area, so I ask: might burned bearings result in the symptom that the engine will turn but only with great resistance?

Posted on: 2017/5/12 22:34
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anything is possible but it's very unlikely that your problem is caused by "burned" bearings.

As to the story, poured babbitt bearings are not done by a jeweler! They are done by an automotive machine shop that can melt the alloy, pour into molds, cut the parting line, and finish machine to a size dictated by measuring the crankshaft journals. Is it possible that the bearings are the problem? Well, if the work was done by the kind of person who shouldn't be allowed near the internals of an engine, then I suppose it's possible.

In the amount of time we've spent speculating, you probably could have removed the cylinder head and the oil pan and then you'd probably know the story, and much more. That's where I'd start now.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 7:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I got my car the engine was stuck from rusty rings. I spayed some blaster down into the cylinders and let sit.Then i used a breaker bar on the crankpully bolt with my floor jack handle over the breaker bar handle for leverage. Every day I would rock it back and forth a few times and then spray in some more blaster. After about a week or this, it broke loose and I was able to rotate the engine 365 a couple of times without binding. But never purely by hand. This was due to the starter bendix being engaged on the flywheel. Also, is your transmission out of gear?

Posted on: 2017/5/13 9:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Owen D - Regarding the jeweler, I thought that odd as well. Just reporting what the former owner told me. It is possible the man had other skills and the fact he was a jeweler merely incidental. BigKev - I've had the starter off, so it's not a problem. I'm turning the engine from the flange in back of the transmission, so have it in high gear.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 12:17
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Clearly, if the current cylinder treatment is ineffective, the next step is to go into the engine. That will have to await the completion of a new shop/garage this summer. Many thanks to all who have responded to my thread. Much appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 12:20
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Corrosion in the cylinders and rings would be my guess. Air gets into the cylinders through open valves and with changes in temperature the air expands and contracts causing very small amounts to flow in and out . Cool damp air is condensed in the cylinders with some remaining.and increasing over time.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 15:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I agree with Owen D, no amount of guessing what's wrong or speculating on if/why the car stayed disassembled. Best to deal with reality instead of fantasy. A socket set is reality, a former owner's foggy memory and that of an unknown "jeweler" is fantasy.

I'm for banning snipe hunts, they're endangered

Posted on: 2017/5/13 17:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved