Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

High Speed Gears
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
My apologies if this is a beaten-to-death topic.

With Phil Bray gone, is there a source for high speed ring and pinion gears for Packards (and other Classics?)

This would be for a 1932 Standard Eight.

Thanks -- Scott

Posted on: 2017/5/13 14:55
 Top  Print   

Re: High Speed Gears
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
GRAPE VINE was someone purchased ORF Corporation and stock from his wife, Carol. Who? And if was just going to sell remained stock and continue on with mfg? Betting someone in the Detroit area would know THE REST OF THE STORY

Posted on: 2017/5/14 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Rode in a '39 12 at the CCCA annual meet in Reno a few months ago, went from Reno to Carson City at 75-85 mph.
The car was quiet, powerful and completely at ease. The owner had had it since 1956 when he bought it for $25. Back then he had the center section of a 57 Olds rear axle welded to the original Packard unit and had the Packard shafts re-splined to fit the Olds center section.

Could be done today with practically any older car for less than the cost of gears and installation I presume.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 9:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A rather broad consensus that especially with the Eight and Super Eight and the heavier body styles, the extra flexibility provided by an overdrive is the preferred way to go. My only personal experience is with an Eight (320 engine) in a 5-passenger sedan body with a 3.07 rear axle; you downshifted into 2nd gear to get over even modest hills you previously climbed with ease in 3rd gear and the car was an absolute DOG at the traffic light. Perhaps something closer to Packard's optional of 4.07 would have been a better choice. A typical OD reduction on Packard's 4.69 axle would put you at about 3.65 which I'd think would be a pretty good compromise between pulling power and cruising speed with kickdown available. The Twelves have enough torque to much more competently handle higher (numerically lower) rear axle ratios.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 11:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Any consensus on what is a good overdrive to use? I know of Gear Vendors, Mitchell and Lloyd Young's Borg Warner.

I had a 1926 236 Phaeton at one time with a Mitchell overdrive. Mitchell aside, having an overdrive was a true blessing for that car.

I don't think a Mitchell unit would work well with a 902 X-frame, hence why I inquired about the gears. Gear Vendors ODs are pretty expensive. Anyone have experience with Lloyd Young's OD?

Posted on: 2017/5/15 19:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved