Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 118

JD in KC, Dbedsole, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Transmission Fluids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Happy Holidays All,

I've been using the Dexron Mercon III tranny fluid in my '56 and it seems I get some slippage and noise after driving for a period of time. I tried the Lucas additive, but it didn't seem to help much.

Has anyone had luck with other types?
Thanks

Posted on: 2008/12/25 12:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Transmission Fluids
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I and several others use the Ford type F with good results as it is supposed to be the most like the original type A. Don't know if still easily available or how it compares to the newer replacement stuff though since I haven't had to do anything to my trans in years other than add a bit now and then.

Posted on: 2008/12/25 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Type F is readily available, I just bought a case of Castrol Type F. Type FA, used on some Jags and Saabs in the 90s is another alternative. Many people who have changed over to F or FA have noted that it took several hundred miles to elimnate the groans and grunts. The original fluid (Type A) had no friction modifiers and some consider that the transmission "snake oils" that contain them to actually be detrimental to transmission life. Lot's of different opinions and experiences on this topic. As bought my 56 had an occasional groan of the direct drive clutch and I replaced the fluid with Type F and all's been well since.

Posted on: 2008/12/25 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
B&M TrickShift is the best choice, IMHO. A little pricey, but it stops the slipping.

Posted on: 2008/12/25 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Dunno without actual chemical analysis, but I was under the impression that B&M Trickshift ATF was nothing more than relabeled and overpriced Type F. When Type F is used in a GM trans it results in harsher shifts, hence the "performance upgrade"

Posted on: 2009/9/7 2:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
To the rumor that TrickShift is just blue Type F I have to say bullshit. I've tried them both on several different auto transmissions and the difference in the TrickShift over the Type F is not a lie. It IS better.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 23:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved