Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

tuskman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Broken stud on intake manifold
Just popping in
Just popping in

OfficerJames
See User information
So over the weekend I reassembled the carb and was putting it back on the intake along with new gaskets and a new insulator between the carb and the intake manifold. The old insulator was brittle and broke apart when I was taking it off. In doing this I did not realize the new insulator was a bit thicker than the old one. While I was tightening the carb onto the manifold one of the studs that holds the carb on broke off right above the surface of the intake manifold.

A few questions related to this problem. First where should I take the intake manifold to have whats left of the stud removed and replaced? Machine shop?

Second should I replace all of the old studs or just the broken one? What size stud would I use?

What is the proper order of gaskets under the carb. When I got the car it went in this order. Carb->gasket->insulator(about 1/4-1/2in thick)->gasket->manifold.

The car in question is a 1939 Packard 120 Sedan.

Posted on: 2017/9/5 14:40
 Top  Print 

Re: Broken stud on intake manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Officer James...That is hard luck. One way to remove the stud is to soak it well with PB Blaster or another rust loosening product and then drill out the center and use an easy out.

Another would be to soak it as above and if your have a 1/4 inch sticking out of the manifold, weld a washer to the stud and then weld a nut to the washer and put a wrench on it.

Lots of soaking first and gentle on the wrench...work the stud back and forth and it might take a couple of days of soaking and gently twisting to get it out.

Otherwise a member of a local Packard club for help, or remove the intake manifold and take it to an old machine shop with old guys working there. Good Luck...Ernie

Posted on: 2017/9/5 15:23
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as a replacement, if your car belongs in the list where I think it does the part number for the stud is 300427 and specs are as shown. If it is not that number you can find the proper stud and go to the utility section in parts manual and under 50.090 find your number to get the specs.

Kanter may have originals or if the two sizes of thread lengths in a modern stud are a decent match to your original so the carb will bolt properly, you can get a new stud that is slightly (1/8") longer at McMaster-Carr or possibly even a local parts store.https://www.mcmaster.com/#94358a270/=19978ny They may also have any other size you might need.

If your others are in good condition and the new one is close in size you could just replace the one. If the others are rusty or show signs of corrosion and thinning on the shaft where it meets the manifold I would replace them all. I would definitely use plenty of penetrating fluid before the attempt and some finesse in trying to remove the others so another doesn't break off.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.62 KB)
209_59af0a47d30c6.jpg 1386X348 px

jpg  (34.01 KB)
209_59af0a505b407.jpg 998X246 px

Posted on: 2017/9/5 15:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day OfficerJames,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '39 120 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/9/5 16:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
that was very quick in including your '39 One Twenty 4 Door Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Great family history!

Posted on: 2017/9/5 17:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Ofcr James,
I use a mix that I learned about here on Packardinfo. Half ATF and half Acetone. Amazing how this works. I used it on all the rusty stuff. Using a Mason jar with a lid, the acetone will evaporate over time, I just add more and use a paint brush. It will take many coats to get it loosened.

Posted on: 2017/9/5 19:34
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved