Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 52

Herb Phillips, speedster1930, George40, JeromeSolberg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35)

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'd be interested in seeing it. I have a schematic for a 12 volt version from a Pop Mech. article back in 1966. John

Posted on: 1/2 11:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Right now it is switchable between 6v and 12v but it is negative ground only. Also, perhaps a little too high in amperage as it’s rated at 40A when 35A to 38A would be a little better.

I would go overkill on the components to give a margin of error if something went amiss and generator started to put out more current than anticipated. Would also have some sort of adjustment circuit where you could regulate the output down if needed to work with a year having a generator that cannot put out as much current.

Most of the 50s 6v generators and regulators Packard used are actually rated at 45 amps so unless you are planning your regulators to be year or model specific I would accommodate the higher outputs in case someone wanted to put on a heavy duty generator like those used in ambulances or some commercial vehicles at 60 or so amps to use for an AC system or the like.

Posted on: 1/2 12:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardDon
See User information
Although I understand basic electronic components and their functions, I am not an engineer but making it adjustable is on my list. That should not be too difficult but reversing the ground is another story and don’t even know where to begin, much less make it switchable!

John, I would love to see what ‘60s solid state technology looks like! That was the era when they were making solid state vacuum tube replacements, one or two types of which are still available. None for Packard radios, though, other than solid state vibrators.

Posted on: 1/2 13:29
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35)

Search
Recent Photos
20210619_101112.jpg (12/28/2021)
20210619_101112.jpg
executive (12/28/2021)
executive
F6A67A34-B4E9-402E-B250-BDB80... (11/06/2021)
F6A67A34-B4E9-402E-B250-BDB80...
Photo of the Day
1926 PACKARD ADVERT-B&W
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved