Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Re: Engine, Tach, and Speedster Questions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Schuman
See User information
I have a 1930 320 cu in 90 HP 8 (according to the engine numbers and owners manual) and want to know the normal operating rpm range so I can find a proper tachometer. I am also looking for the appropriate tach. First time here, anyone else building a Packard speedster? Basing mine on a '28 526 (126 in WB) chassis. Found the '30 straight 8 and 4 speed and installed it. Kept all the wheel base and moved the motor/trans back 18 inches and down 1.5 inches. Moved the steering and crossmembers as required and in the process of building the body bucks for the 2 seater boattail body. The object is to use all period Packard parts (mechanical brakes, stock steering, etc.) as might have been used by a period long distance racer and when its finished drive the hell out of it.
Ron Schuman

Attach file:

jpg  (41.33 KB)
1207_495e4c86ab5a2.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (44.87 KB)
1207_495e4c9f28e4e.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2009/1/2 12:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
RAS wrote: I have a 1930 320 cu in 90 HP 8.........First time here, anyone else building a Packard speedster? Basing mine on a '28 526 (126 in WB) chassis..........Ron Schuman

G'day Ron,
to Packardinfo. You're not alone in building a Speedster, have a look at Turbopackman's in the Project Blog Forum:
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=738&forum=10
There was also a discussion a little while ago with another member who has one.
And another matter, although - Could you please add your Speedster to the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/1/2 14:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Would be helpful to know the tire size and rear axle ratio. Here's some factory data for 1931 with 6.50x19 tires and 4.69 rear axle.

20 mph = 985 rpm
50 mph = 2463 rpm
70 mph = 3448 rpm
90 mph = 4423 rpm.

For the 4.38 rear axle, same tire size:

20 mph = 920 rpm
50 mph = 2302 rpm
70 mph = 3222 rpm
90 mph = 4142 rpm.

By just measuring your tire circumference and knowing the axle ratio you can work out any combination you want. I guess you know that a 5 inch stroke and babbitt bearings aren't conducive to long engine life at much above 2500 rpm or so.

Posted on: 2009/1/2 15:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:.......There was also a discussion a little while ago with another member who has one........

Found it, there are three posts from Turbo289 on Page 8 of Turbopackman's Project Blog and mentions the Speedster he's building in Nampa Idaho.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 3:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would look for a 5000 rpm tach, which is what I'm also looking for. Something like this would probably be perfect for you, even though it's only 4000 rpm, I don't think you'd ever top it out: Vintage Tach

Posted on: 2009/1/3 12:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Schuman
See User information
Thank you,
Looks like it will make for some interesting reading.,
ras

Posted on: 2009/1/3 16:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Schuman
See User information
Owen,
Thanks for the info. This Packard stuff is all new to me and thats the kind of info I need to steer this project. If I want to cruise at anything over 50 it looks like I'll need a set of high speed gears.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 16:46
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Schuman
See User information
Thanks Eric,
Looking forward to reading about your speedster project.,
ras

Posted on: 2009/1/3 16:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ron,
for adding your Speedster to the Owner Registry. And thanks also for the history and such, I enjoy these as they make interesting reading.

And I suggest, some here might think I'm pushy but what the heck I can only ask, could you document your Speedster in the Project Blogs Forum? I'm sure it will provide a great resource for others who may wish to do something similar. As well as provide you and us with regular documented updates of progress achieved.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 21:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Ron wrote: "...320 cu in 90 HP 8 (according to the engine numbers and owners manual) and want to know the normal operating rpm range..."

Ron,

Good question. I also wonder what maximum sustained rpm is healthy for these engines. I have a 39 320 that seems very unhappy if pushed over what seems like about 2100 - 2200 rpm. These engines make lots of torque. I currently have 4.36 : 1 gearing with overdrive (28% overdrive ratio) for a final drive ratio of 3.14 : 1. With 7.00 - 16 Firestones that are approx. 30 inches tall. The car seems very pleasant at 60 mph. I honestly believe it would pull taller gearing with no trouble at all. I look to drop to 4.09 : 1 rear gears giving a final ratio of 2.94 : 1.

Owen is spot on about the babbited connecting rod bearings being of concern in your engine. As light as your speedster will be, I would gear it to the moon if you want to go over 60 mph for sustained periods.

I would be very curious to hear other opinions from experienced operators of 320 8 cyl. engines on max. sustained rpm.

Your project looks very interesting.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/1/4 1:19
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved