Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

Duane Gunn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bolt plating
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lgace
See User information
I tried looking through the Fourm and could not find anything on re-plating rusty nuts and bolts. I am restoring my 1938 8 cyl, model 1601 Packard and was wondering what rust protection (plating) should I use to re-plate the nut and bolts? Zinc, zinc nickel , use a chromate? What was used back in 1938?

To restore the car to as original as possible, what rust protection can I use and not get dinged if I ever have the car judged at a show?

Posted on: 2018/4/26 19:55
Tony
 Top  Print   

Re: Bolt plating
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Unless you own a plating service, it would be better to simply replace nuts, bolts, washers and the like with new ones of a better grade. Stainless would be cheaper than replating and would last longer without corrosion.

I don't think anyone loses points for doing that. However, if you had to have absolute original, you could take the originals to a metal stripper, re-install, and let them take another 80 years to rust. You could use section 50. of the parts book to figure out where they go after you get them back.

Some available bolts for convertibles may have to be modified to match the original which might be 1/8" shorter or have a longer shoulder. McMasters-Carr, Restoration Specialties, and other suppliers are easy to find and search online if your local Ace or Home Depot doesn't have. And Bruce Blevins has quite a catalog, plus he can make anything you need in that dept.

Posted on: 2018/4/27 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Joe's right. Why court the possibility of hydrogen-assisted cracking in 80-year-old fasteners holding a two-plus-ton automobile together for the sake of some clipboard-wielding cupcakes? I learned about this side effect of plating from a lifelong aero/auto machinist/mechanic pilot who worked on everything from his driven in the real world supercharged '37 Cord Phaeton to P-51 Mustangs and one of the only 18 P-40s still flying.

Posted on: 2018/4/27 15:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If they're still serviceable, just run them through the bead blast cabinet. (degrease, if oily, first) They'll look like new. Trim any heads that are edge warped with a file. I suspect not all will be usable,(extent of rust) but you'll have a better idea what to look for. Some of the manufacturers are no longer in business so sourcing certain logo stock is almost impossible without a donor or large parts cache.
Torqued fasteners require a certain percent thread engagement, so if threads are rusted out of tolerance, they need to be replaced - regardless. Do not reuse. Follow the service manual torque instructions.
Not a pre-war junkie, but I know from post war if zinc plated, they first changed bath composition in the early '60s, so today's bright plate is not correct for earlier. What I do is take new and just give them a light bead blast to knock the shine off and they look fine/indistinguishable.
If they're black oxide, there are ways to refinish, but I've never done, so I don't recommend things I don't do myself. They're also getting harder to find today but many available even square heads. Some were plain uncoated mild steel, too.

Posted on: 2018/4/28 20:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eastwood sells a variety of different spray paints that can be used to dress-up bolts and bracketry. I've used their silver-cadmium paint will great results. I just media blasted everything with glass bead first, then painted them. Mostly just the bolt heads, washers, etc to avoid getting the threads mucked up.

You can see what it looks like in my project blog.

Posted on: 2018/4/30 9:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved