Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 210

humanpotatohybrid, DavidM, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Carburetor Question Carter WA-1
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For what it's worth, here's the info for the Chandler Groves as used in the 1937 Six, this from the "1937 Six Operation and Maintenance Data booklet. No tube was used, the OEM assembly was as shown above by by BDeB.

Attach file:

jpg  (420.02 KB)
177_5b3e7a0236d4d.jpg 1920X1484 px

jpg  (459.93 KB)
177_5b3e7a0cbb726.jpg 1920X1484 px

Posted on: 2018/7/5 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would be a little leery of using a carburetor from a different make of car as there are likely differences in hidden things such as the jet size, rod travels and that sort of thing. Surely your original can be rebuilt and it is quite easy to do yourself!

Posted on: 2018/7/5 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Chandler Groves carbs had, to put it politely, a rather mediocre performance record which is why Packard superseded them.

Posted on: 2018/7/5 16:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
This is Not rocket science.
This is the basic way.
The delux version would be to get it closer/onto the exhaust manifold. (this is kinda sorta against it)
The supreme version would be to put it into a "hotbox", simple sheetmetal box designed to capture more heat.
The "golden perfection" would be to use steel tubing as well, as the copper tube is losing heat at a rate faster than the steel would....

Point in fact though, this has worked fine for oh, the last 20 year or so...with no heat shield or carb spacer either. When did the spacer go missing...I don't remember when...

Attach file:

jpg  (211.04 KB)
439_5b3eaae46bfdf.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2018/7/5 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies and input. After Howard's 'tutorial' on the carb heat plumbing, I went back and looked at the car again today and found a small hole in the top of the exhaust manifold. I had some 1/4" copper tubing with me and found that it fit perfectly in the hole. I shaped the tubing to lead nice and fair up to the heat element housing and used a compression fitting to secure the upper end to the carb. It seems to work perfectly as the choke was completely closed when the engine was cold and once warmed up, it was fully open. I guess this is the 'stove' compartment Howard was referring to, as there was no exhaust coming from it and the copper tube seemed to go about 3/4" into the hole. I suspended the end of the tubing so it was not on the bottom of the chamber, but about halfway. Actually, it looks remarkably similar to the picture David posted.
Unfortunately, I took the car out for a drive with the brand new carb on it, new fuel lines, new filters and gas tank pickup tube and it promptly stalled at the first stop sign!!!
Think it is fairly safe to say the stalling problem is not in the fuel circuit. Dynamite time, me thinks!!!!!

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:21
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not a good photo I'm afraid as it's a screen capture from my site's Classified Ads (sold area) but my 1939 Six had this heat shield and an insulator under the carburetor. There was also insulation on the fuel line to the carburetor and another heat shield over the fuel pump. In other words, if you're missing any one of these, perhaps you're suffering from simple vapor lock!

Attach file:

jpeg  (22.99 KB)
60923_5b3eb75382319.jpeg 857X622 px

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Oh, and BTW - I got the Carter WA-1 designation from this site which I took to be 'gospel'https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=929

I have never heard any reference to Chandler Grove in my 38/39 manual, so while that may have been the model-correct carb for '37, I don't think it applied to my '39. I have seen quite a few photos now of '39's and most seem to have the Carter WA-1.

Like I said initially in this post, I had a '56 Chev Bel Air carb on it when purchased, and all research I have done has indicated that Carter was the overwhelming choice used by Packard on my car. When I gave the carb X-change outfit my make and model, that's what they listed.

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Mine had a Stromberg as did my 1940 110 and looking in the Packard Parts Book, I see that there was a change-over kit available from Chandler Grove. Until this thread, I had never heard of it!

9.100 - CARBURETOR CHANGEOVER EQUIPMENT

354419 115C-1600-1700 (CHANDLER GROVE TO STROMBERG)

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Don,

Yes, I have this exact heat shield in place under the carb. I have a couple of clear fuel filters inline and there is no bubbling going on and my electric fuel pump is at the back of the car just in front of the fuel tank. I have the fuel line routed away from the block and up to a pressure regulator mounted on the firewall, so the line going from there to the carb is plenty far away from the heat of the manifold/engine.

The Flackmaster had mentioned a heat spacer between the carb and the manifold which I did not have so made a 'stack of gaskets'(which I was told was acceptable) to create an insulating spacer and yes, I have tightened them securely and re-snugged them once the engine warmed up and they are not leaking.

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the stalls you are having and those another poster at the PAC forum with a 40 or 41 has complained about, I wonder if a dashpot would be of any benefit. Packard had the throttle guard on some models which is a fancier implantation of the same idea.

Lots of cars with carbs used an ordinary spring and air bleed dashpot to prevent stalling when the throttle plates suddenly close when coming to a stop. There are universal dashpots available in various configurations at Summit, Jegs and ebay. Perhaps one could be gerry rigged somewhere to see if it would do any good and if it does, then permanently mounted at a point early in the linkage - maybe near the floor close to the accelerator pedal - to be out of sight.

Posted on: 2018/7/6 9:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved