Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 140

Out Islander, kevinpackard, wjames, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Flexing wheels on 54 Cavalier
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I am running Coker Tire radial-look-like bias ply but Radial wide white tires on my 54 Packard Cavalier.

The rims flex and cause the stock hubcap to slowly rotate and eventually rip out the valve stem. Pshhhhhh and flat.

I tried everything, and now drive the car with the front left hubcap in the trunk.

My new thinking is to buy some chrome wheels that will fit the car and go on with life.

Noting that Packard has a locating pin on the drum that has to pass through a hole in the wheel.

I will say the radials drive nice and don't wander like the fat tires that were on this car when I bought it.

I drive and hardly ever show. Maybe I will move to Cuba.

Jim

Posted on: 2018/11/17 18:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Flexing wheels on 54 Cavalier
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's been discussed several times previously, use the Search function, there are several tricks to help secure the wheel covers. Or you could just simply replace the rubber valve stem with a metal one.

Posted on: 2018/11/17 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Jim McDermaid wrote:
I am running Coker Tire radial-look-like bias ply but Radial wide white tires on my 54 Packard Cavalier.

The rims flex and cause the stock hubcap to slowly rotate and eventually rip out the valve stem. Pshhhhhh and flat.

I tried everything, and now drive the car with the front left hubcap in the trunk.

My new thinking is to buy some chrome wheels that will fit the car and go on with life.

Noting that Packard has a locating pin on the drum that has to pass through a hole in the wheel.

I will say the radials drive nice and don't wander like the fat tires that were on this car when I bought it.

I drive and hardly ever show. Maybe I will move to Cuba.

Jim

Radials... and the migrating wheel cover thing again. Ah-ahh-ahhh! You didn't try everything...

As I have said numerous times before, it is a very, very simply matter to stop a wheelcover from working its way around the rim with radials installed. Go to a quality tire store... have them install metal valve stems. Done. End of story. I did this in the 1970s on my 1966 Cadillac Eldorado (this after TWO front bushing and suspension rebuild jobs). I assure you, the metal valve stems won't go anywhere-no matter what kind of wheelcover or tire you have installed. They cost a little more than the pop-in rubber stems... but they'll last the life of the automobile. No weird wheels or wheel cover removals needed.

Posted on: 2018/11/17 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I had this problem on my '56 Patrician and was given a possible solution by a friend. Simply squirt a small dollop of silicon sealer at four points around the wheel rim, replace the hubcap and wipe off any seepage. Has worked well for me and the only issue is removal and replacement whenever the hubcap has to be removed and replaced. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2018/11/18 3:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Jim;
Try a search 'Wheel cover moving', or 'Wheel cover rotation'.
Previous and current forum guidance appears to be;

? Bend wheel cover 'tangs' to increase retention/rotation force
? Dabs of silicon to provide additional anti-rotation 'glue'
? Metal valve stems

Based on the responses to previous postings I suspect the first and third items are in your future. There doesn't seem to be a lot of responses supporting the prognoses of a 'flexing wheel' . . . it seems to be a characteristic of 'full wheel covers' whose 'tangs' have lost their grip . . . not so much which particular tire design is installed.

I personally never had wheel covers moving around jeopardizing the valve stems, but then again the 'tangs' on my Cavalier are quite aggressive . . . big rubber mallet required to install and lots of paint loss when the covers were removed. It did take a while to get over the idea that the paint on the wheel was sacrificial.

DP

Posted on: 2018/11/18 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Tried bending the tangs tighter and keep a new rubber hammer in the back.

Didn't try the Silicon goo stickum but I did notice a residue of something sticky inside each hubcap and and a matching spot on each rim making me think I'm not the first.

I will buy some metal valve stems as heavy duty as possible. and then get some shady tire shop to mount them without trying to sell me new tires.

I tried metallic tape which worked a bit but the left front won't stop going.

It's like Model T Ford parts you gather up a box full and they start running.

Jim

Posted on: 2018/11/22 13:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You should have no problem finding the metal stems but if you do, I've got several used chrome ones that were in the glove box of the Carib. Yours if you need them.

Posted on: 2018/11/22 14:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved