Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 245

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: First they came for the clunkers......
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
clipper47 wrote:........I think if the government wants to really get serious about auto pollution the first concern should be to develop more urban passenger rail systems to help alleviate the traffic volumes commuting in and out of cities. A old parked car isn't polluting when it isn't being driven but is a convenient scapegoat. :2cent

Dave,

I agree completely with that statement. We see exactly the same happening here on Sydney, a city of over 4 million, as car usage for commuting grows daily. Meanwhile as the government sits on it's hands, and proposals for rail lines are debated, evaluated, downgraded then canned, the problem just keeps growing. Yes projects such as this are expensive, but the investment government now makes will benefit the communities it serves as well as the environment many times over. And it isn't just old cars, all cars don't pollute when not being driven. Also my

Posted on: 2009/1/21 15:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To paraphrase: "Gather ye Packards while ye may---" Only saving grace is maybe it is for running & licensed cars. Can't help but wonder though how many people will see that running old car as cash in hand and down payment for the new one--just what the program is designed for.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090505/pl_nm/us_energy_autos

Posted on: 2009/5/5 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I read that this morning and my stomach just turned. The big question is what is their definition of "Clunker". If they leave it really vague (which I am sure they did, the government is incompetent) than we as a hobby are in ALOT of trouble.

My only hope is SEMA, or other auto related lobbyist had some influence in determining what is a "clunker".

Attach file:

jpg  (27.83 KB)
633_4a007ee80b6ba.jpg 450X422 px

Posted on: 2009/5/5 13:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have visions of a lot of running but probably unlicensed cars around--after all Craigslist is full of them. If some can't sell in this economy, but can be thrown together and licensed for a couple of hundred or so, who wouldn't expect people to do that, clear the space they are taking up, and get themselves the new ride they've wanted in the process. I think it's going to take a pretty hefty effort to prevent it.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So what are the clubs and vendors doing about this issue??? NO, not just the Packard clubs and vendors but all of the vintage clubs and vendors. My guess is nothing.

Vote the bastard out in 2012. Vote someone else in, doesn't matter who or what. Vote everyone else out in the mean time. Christ, i'd even vote myself out if I were in.

Gotta keep the bastards hungry and fighting each other so they will leave the rest of us alone. Starvation is the most effective weapon in the world.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 14:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
TERM LIMITS.

ALL FIXED.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 18:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
TERM LIMITS. ALL FIXED.

Dream on!

We have term limits here and there are so many different offices and things they're still eligible for after being "termed out", it's a joke. Besides even if you finally do get rid of one, the replacement is already on someone's payroll by the time he takes office. And if someone actually does get to the end of the road, the governor appoints his tame ones to a high paid job on some useless commission so they're still around.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
AH YES! Children of LEARY UNITE!
I love that song! and mike i agree with you. get this: in recent years the major auto makers tout cars they produce that get 30 mpg or better. My day to day beater= 89 chrysler lebaron 2.5 4cyl 5spd. 260,000 miles on it. gets 45 mpg highway 40 in town according to the trip computer. i know those are not always accurate. so i figured it the old fashioned way. actual mpg= 43.5 highway 37.4 in town! and that's at the speed limit, not poking along! so how the hell do they expect to convince ME to buy a new car? hot rod did a 55 chevy "the green machine" a hand full of years ago that was carb'd w/o any emmisions junk. and when properly tuned, it ran cleaner than a new car! i have also tested my 92 dakota with 294,000 miles on it. and it BEAT the emissions requirements for a new CAR! so Screw the new cars i say!

Posted on: 2009/5/5 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Dream on!

We have term limits here and there are so many different offices and things they're still eligible for after being "termed out", it's a joke. (snip)

<p>There is only one real solution. Wipe the slate clean and start over. Otherwise, IMO, we will continue to swirl down the drain. The world as we knew it is fading away.</p>
<p>Meanwhile, I'm retired and shall entertain myself with orphan P-cars (Packards and Pontiacs) until they "come to take me away" over my dead body.</p>
<p>
Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/5/5 19:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Aw come on. Who cares if they scrap every Ford Taurus, Winstar, Explorer, Expedtion, and Excursion on the planet?

You know what is a really rare car? Chevy Vega. Harder to find than a Custom Packard. It would be fun to take one to a show and listen to everyone say "I had one of these. It was Junk."

I had a 1983 Dodge that is virtually non-existent today. It was a good little car provided you had an ASE certification.

Today I was working on a 1994 Ford Truck handbrake. The dealer couldn't help me because they said Ford listed 27 different cables for the thing. So I'm stuck repairing what is on the vehicle. I told them "What?!!!, Cars have had handbrakes since 1910 and now they can't make one that works?" Send this stuff to the junkyard where it belongs.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 18:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved