Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1949 Packard touring Sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
Hi All, I wonder if anyone might be able to guide me as to where I might find original delivery details for a 1949 Packard in South Africa please. The body no. is noted as 2262-36106, the chassis? no as 2262-36242. The chassis plate is stamped Union of South Africa, so I assume this is a South African delivered car?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards Wayne

Attach file:

jpg  (39.32 KB)
537_5c59f57121668.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (91.39 KB)
537_5c59f613b435a.jpg 720X960 px

jpg  (80.19 KB)
537_5c59f6429886a.jpg 720X960 px

Posted on: 2019/2/5 15:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Packard touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge, of the 48-50 Packards, original delivery tickets have survived on only a few hundred cars - yours not among them (at least not among those surviving records that have been shared with me which I believe to be most all of those outstanding).

Generally your only real options are old documents you might find in the car and recollections of the prior owner and if you can trace it back thru him, earlier prior owners.

And for identification purposes 2262-36242 is the true vehicle number, not a chassis number. When convenient, could you share the theft-proof number (large embossed 6-digit number on the cowl)?

Posted on: 2019/2/5 18:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
Thanks, I will ask for the theft proof number, unfortunately the trail has gone cold trying to work back through owners,

Regards Wayne

Posted on: 2019/2/7 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wouldn't be pertinent to your ownership history search but I wonder if export or cars modified or assembled at agencies had the same build slips that have been found in those cars that stayed here. If there is any chance a build slip is still with the car -- either taped to the top of the glovebox or tightly folded and stuffed between the fuel tank fill and vent pipes -- if found it might give some indication if there was any special export options or things done to the car. The US slip is a narrow strip of teletype paper with a line or two of printed and maybe some hand written letters and numbers. If you do find it the paper will be very brittle and damage easily so take care with it.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
Thanks HH56, will get them to check.

Owen_Dyneto, would this be the theft proof number? What does it relate to please.

Thanks Wayne

Attach file:

jpg  (63.78 KB)
537_5c5c69de1de66.jpg 1152X864 px

Posted on: 2019/2/7 12:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Answering on O_D's behalf.

Yes, that's the Theft Proof number.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 13:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the theft-proof. About all I can tell at this time from it is that your car is within a block of probably 200 or more consecutively numbered RHD bodies. That particular block of bodies (and there are several such blocks of RHD numbers within the 22nd series) extends from at least 819110 (and probably lower than that) thru at least 819286 (and probably higher than that.)

Posted on: 2019/2/7 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2019/2/7 18:54
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
Thanks All, some scraps of paper have been found in the car with some slightly readable text, I assume one is the build slip, see pics. The hand written page shows what can be read on the one piece of paper.

Regards Wayne

Posted on: 2019/2/8 11:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wonderful, what a great find! First-hand info on RHD cars is in short supply.

22nd Series Deluxe Eight sedan, Arizona Beige paint, tan imitation leather interior, rear fender shrouds, overdrive, right hand drive. I'm not familiar with some of the other codes and will be anxious to hear from others.

Does the car have a heater? Packard's optional fresh air heater/defroster was incompatible with RHD and I've read somewhere that when a heater was specified, the earlier (1947) style heater was supplied, I'd be interested to know what heater/defroster equipment your car has, if any.

Posted on: 2019/2/8 12:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved